Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

LATEST NEWS » WALLACE&GROMIT IN A NEW BOARD GAME ADVENTURE!

There are 233 messages in total. Showing messages 151 to 200.
jills Posted: Dec 26th 2007

Josephine, you are always so funny |-) hehe :)

squigly Posted: Dec 27th 2007

Cracks me up when Josephine says "chuffed to mintballs"

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 27th 2007

Yeah, same.:D

Josephine Posted: Dec 27th 2007

Thanks, guys and gals! You've made my day you could say that I'm chuffed to...MINTBALLS! Did you have a cracking Christmas?!?!!??

Mibso Posted: Dec 28th 2007

Thanks Josephine,
I had a 'Merry Christmas' or you could say 'Cracking Christmas, Gromit!'! Got a lot of animation and clay stuff, so expect more creations! I just got 'Fleeced' today from Forbidden Planet in Liverpool, it's not at all childish or boring at all! It's really good and fun, everyone (Wallace and Gromit fan or not) would love it if they got a chance to play it. You do forget to blow the whistles during start of turns!

andyb Posted: Dec 28th 2007

Have just tried Fleeced albeit after a day at work. What a headache. Is there anywhere to get clarification of some of the woolier instructions? Surely these were not translated from cheese, sorry, chinese. Is the game ever really suitable for only two players?

Fish Posted: Dec 29th 2007

I just dropped in to say that every time I needed to offer an opinion yesterday, all I could think of to say was I am "chuffed to mintballs"!!|-) Thank you, Josephine, for making my day!

Mibso Posted: Dec 29th 2007

andyb,

The game is suitable for 2-6 players with all of the home places and characters. It doesn't seem so complicated after you play it for the first time, then it shouldn't be such a headache for you! If you still have some troubles, have a look around the site for more help.

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 29th 2007

Andyb, when you said translated from cheese instead of chinese, I just laughed. You cracked me up!:D

Josephine Posted: Jan 1st 2008

Yeah, I cracked up, too! You are all lovely people! :D

squigly Posted: Jan 2nd 2008

Josephine....were you chuffed to mintballs?!?|-)

Josephine Posted: Jan 2nd 2008

Indeed I was, and continue to be, chuffed to mintballs! Has anyone ever had a mintball, perchance?

Fish Posted: Jan 2nd 2008

A mintball? Never had one I don't think. Is it a mint that is in the shape of a ball, perhaps??

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 3rd 2008

Nope, not me.:)

squigly Posted: Jan 4th 2008

Are they mint candies?

What's "chuffed" anyway?:O

StuartRead Posted: Jan 4th 2008

It's a word used to say that your pleased or happy about something, so I believe that Josephine is very pleased to know forum members - I appologise if I'm wrong Josephine.

I am "chuffed" that you are a member - your "chuffed to mintballs" always makes me laugh, although I had never heard of a mintball until you said it on here...

conty Posted: Jan 4th 2008

we say chuffed to bits all the time, josephine all of your sayings apart from mintballs is the same as what we say, are you from the west country too?

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 4th 2008

What's a mintball?

Fish Posted: Jan 4th 2008

PLEASE tell what a mintball is, Josephine. I shall be chuffed to mintballs if you would!8)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

Yeah, me too.

bigdad2021 Posted: Jan 6th 2008

got this game yesterday its the best get as soon as u can go wallaceandgromite

Josephine Posted: Jan 6th 2008

StuartRead - you are very kind! You are spot on :D ! re definition of "chuffed"

Conty, I'm Mancunian with an Irish lilt - incidentally,a cousin of mine lived in Bristol years ago and an old friend I used to work with lives in Nailsea - he met the Almighty Nick P just as & were heading for stardom |-) I hope I will get to visit Bristol one day...also, the Bristol chuffed is the same as the Northern England chuffed! :D

squigly and fish - you are both spot on :D !

Any road-up, I think I better tell you about the mintballs...

In Wigan (where it is reputed that the dynamic duo live), there is a factory that, after a century or so, still makes a product called Uncle Joe's Mintballs.

P'raps as a young boy, The Almighty Nick P - a Lancashire Lad - will have spent some of his pocket money sharing them with his friends and brothers and sister, as well as eating them whilst watching Thunderbirds or reading The Beano etc. when he was a kid.

Uncle Joe's Mintballs are a natural "cola-brown" colour, mildly herby and minty, very tasty (I think so, anyway) and not too sickly sweet BUT curiously, they are round but not as in a perfect ball, if you know what I mean.

They were a rare treat for kids in the old days so, if you were pleased with something, you were "chuffed to mintballs" .

I had a quarter bag of them from the same newsagent who saves my magazines before Christmas...

Hope you are all suitably chuffed to mintballs!

My mouth is watering...

squigly Posted: Jan 7th 2008

Thanks, Josephine, for such a detailed explanation. I think you had quite a lot of us on the edge of our seats for a few days waiting to find out about those infamous mintballs.:-(|)

Huh! Who would have thought they were brown. I envisioned some white melt-in-your-mouth ball with red stripes.

Josephine...since you seem to know quite a bit about and and the rest of the gang etc...is "chuffed to mintballs" mentioned in any of the movies? 8}

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 8th 2008

Yeah, I agree with Squigly. It's a surprise to find out they are brown! :D

Josephine Posted: Jan 8th 2008

Hi, squigly! Erm, I will have to look at all the & films again to confirm whether "chuffed to mintballs" has been said (any excuse, eh?) I can't rely on my memory at the moment but I would not like to let the side down by getting my facts wrong.

Like most things concerning Aardman - and the dynamic duo - these mints are out of this world. I've seen/tasted those white minty ball things called mint imperials (the colour of most other peppermint candies on the market). Spearmint tends to feature a light blue coloured sweets/candies.

Uncle Joe's Mintballs have hint of herbs - which will explain the "cola-brown" colour.

Hey, we have gone off at a tangent here! This started off as "Fleeced" and we've ended up with mintballs |-)

I'm still chuffed! >:-)

Fish Posted: Jan 10th 2008

I plugged "Uncle Joe's Mintballs" into Goggle, and found out LOTS about mintballs. Here is the link:

http://www.uncle-joes.com/

Oops...I mean Google!

Josephine Posted: Jan 10th 2008

Fish - Goggle sounds better |-) ! No worries, I'll save the Mintballs link to my favourites!

Josephine Posted: Jan 10th 2008

...And, whilst I am chuffed to mintballs (that's it! I'm buying a half pound of them tomorrow!)...

... you'd think "Fleeced" would be available from Woolworths, wouldn't you?

Woolworths would be perfect!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 11th 2008

I love Woolworths!:D

Josephine Posted: Jan 11th 2008

So do I, Fish and Mark the Shark! I love going there because it is a fun place (I also like the dog and sheep that advertise for them, too. My dog is the spitting image of that one!)and I always scour the shelves looking for W&G goodies as well as for household stuff, which is actually good quality!

...and the "Wool" in Woolworths would have helped sales of "Fleeced" go through the roof!

What a missed opportunity!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 11th 2008

Yes, it would go through the roof if Fleeced was there. Hey, I went to Forbidden Planet and Fleeced wasn't there!!! D'OH!!!

Josephine Posted: Jan 11th 2008

Aw, no! You poor thing! Did you order it, at all, Mark the Shark?

squigly Posted: Jan 12th 2008

I sure missed a lot in 3 days!

Fish, I looked at the Uncle Joe's website. Thank you for the link. Josephine, did you get your half pound of mints?

We don't have a Woolworths here anymore. I think ours was an F. W. Woolworths. Is that the same store as yours?

Can't wait until they start selling Fleeced in the US!

Hey Mark the Shark...just saw that you won runner up for your drawing. Congratulations! You were so close to winning Fleeced!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 12th 2008

Why, thank you very much Squigly! No, Josephine, I didn't think of that. I might try that next time I go there! Thanks!;)

cenaida Posted: Jan 12th 2008

ok there cool!and who else:-(|)they r awesome but exept

cenaida Posted: Jan 12th 2008

wallace is not coolok so dont think that he s cool cuz he aint8)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 12th 2008

What did you say? It's kinda hard to make out what you said!;)

Mark the Shark...you changed your avatar again...neat! Garfield looks CHUFFED TO MINTBALLS!!!
:D:)|-)

Josephine Posted: Jan 12th 2008

Garfield looks like he's having a nice time hiding the evidence of his mintball indulgence!|-) Yep, I have indeed got my mintballs - in a paper bag ;) , thank you kindly, squigly :D . My nearest Woolworths and similar branches used to be called F W Woolworths but now they are just called Woolworths.

Mark the Shark - THE BIGGEST, HEARTIEST CONGRATULATIONS FOR RUNNER-UP!!!!!! |-):D

Welcome back, Josephine!

I can just visualize you sitting at your computer, Snoopy socks on, munching on some mintballs, feeling just chuffed!

Did you see on the other thread (Superfan reviews Fleeced) that Fish wanted to know what you found out about the origins of the Were Rabbit that was so interesting. Seems you left everyone hanging on that one.

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 13th 2008

Why thank you Josephine and Squigly. That's very kind of you. And Squigly, I heard about the origins thing but what does it mean the "Origins of Were-rabbit"

Josephine Posted: Jan 13th 2008

Ooooooh, yes indeed, squigly! You have sussed me out good and proper - Snoopy socks and mintballs! That's me, folks! I also have a steaming hot cup of tea near my phone...

The origins of the Were-Rabbit in Medieval Stockport - crumbs, oh I! I got side-tracked. Sorry about keeping you all in suspenders!

According to the story board on page 113 in "The Art of ... Were Rabbit, it goes: "... in Medieval Stockport, the Wererabbit was generally regarded ...torment of lettuce... carrots torn out and flung into - ". Now this is where I became intrigued because the next bit read - toilets!

Correct me if I am wrong, storyboard writers! Should I have gone to Specsavers???!!!!!

So, with faint heart and a jam butty washed down with brick layers tea, here is my lazily researched version of the Were Rabbit legend - some of it was actually written on the back of a medieval beer mat found on the grounds beneath the cellar of the George and Dragon Inn - here goes:

"In Medieval Stockport, the Were Rabbit was generally regarded as a pain in the fluffy rear-end. You jest, I hear you say. I jest ye not, bretheren! Vegetables, soft fruit, hard fruit and the odd mintball or fizzy Loveheart were not safe from the fluffy fiend. The local serfs, squires and farmers (including Lord and Lady Muck) were not entirely chuffed by the gaping holes and buck-toothed evidence left behind (including the droppings). Whenever there was a moon in the night sky, the Were-Rabbit struck. The flop-eared feral fellon would rampage through Gatley, Cheadle and Edgeley - stopping off for a wee - then hopping through the fertile lands of Offerton and Bredbury, causing havoc in Hazel Grove and back in time for his tea by way of Heald Green. The Were-Rabbit was the torment of lettuce, the scourge of salad - carrots were torn out and flung into his large gob. Munch! Crunch! Chomp! Slurp! Burrrrrrp! For what is up, my good doctor?! (modern translation: What's up, doc!)

The good folk of Stockport called upon their humble, saintly priest for help - he happened to be an exorcist - he used to pray as he jogged and would often be seen running up the steps of the court house with his sweaty grey hoodie and jogging pants. He was called Saint Orf (he lived in a church - the grounds of which is built Stockport County Football Club).

Could he seeketh out this monster? Could he deliver Stockport from evil and woe? Saint Orf knew the pain his parishoners were going through - even the statue of a beloved saint in his church had its flowers chewed off one night! Nothing was safe!

He prayed, fasted and sought divine inspiration from above. Then, armed with his cross, holy water and a selection of veg from ye olde Co-Oppe, Saint Orf kept a vigil close by...

The moon was full. The shadow of the Were Rabbit appeared and stood before Saint Orf.

"Begone, thou furry fiend!" cried Saint Orf, brandishing his cross, flinging his holy water and bag full of veg. "May the Prince of Darkness welcome thee into the abyss of Eternal Stew! Do one! Hop it!"

But the Were-Rabbit eyed up what was in Saint Orf's other hand. Nope, neither the cross or the holy water but carrots, parsnips, lettuce, savoy cabbage, broccoli and Saint Orf's secret weapon - fresh figs! The Were Rabbit scoffed the lot! A moment later, the animal ran off to the nearest toilet...Saint Orf and the parishoners (including Lord and Lady Muck) followed suit. Behind the wooden shed-like structure they waited for a sign. Then the brave Saint Orf gingerly opened the door of the toilet.

"'Scuse me, mate? Any toilet paper?!" said a human voice.

"That voice is familiar!" cried Lord Muck.

"It is our son, Algernon!" declared Lady Muck. She fainted!

Algernon went into rehab (he said no, no, no - but his mum made him) and detox - no joy! He was detained in a rabbit for the term of his natural life.

It was not a devil but an affliction caused by a genetic defect in the Muck dynasty, as was discovered in the mid 20th Century.

It can only be cured by a bullet/tablet made from 24 carat GOLD."

Unfortunately, you can't get it from the NHS!

cinders1 Posted: Jan 14th 2008

josephine, ive just curled up with my coffee (in my new W&G mugs, i might add!!!) and read your little story, its fab!!!! you always make us smile:)

Fish Posted: Jan 14th 2008

Awesome tail..er...TALE!:D Thanks for this magnificent bit of history, Josephine!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 14th 2008

Great magical story! Fantastic! Thank you for making us smile all the time!;)

squigly Posted: Jan 14th 2008

Did anyone notice? Mintballs and chuffed were used in the story (though not together as in "chuffed to mintballs").:O

Great story Joephine. I knew we could count on you!

Hey Mark...you changed your Avatar again. What is it?

Josephine Posted: Jan 15th 2008

As Stockport is also famous for its hat making, I take mine off to you all and bow low. I am overwhelmed by your kindness.

cinders1 - you SHALL go to the (mint)ball! ;)

Fish, Mark the Shark, squigly, cinders1 et al - HARK! I have an epilogue (posh for end bit) for you to this hare-raising tale of the Were Rabbit of Medieval Stockport.

Whatever became of Saint Orf, then? Well, the grateful parishoners raised him shoulder high through the streets of that noble town. Then Saint Orf had another burst of divine inspiration 0:)

He made little red-coloured square signs for the people to put outside their doors with some curious initials:

+ W R H B S O

He explained to them that the letters stood for: Were Rabbit Has Been Saint Orf.

The great holy man died and his soul went straight to his heavenly reward. He was canonised a saint soon afterwards 0:) He now sleeps in heavenly peas in an undefined spot near where his old church once stood...

His red card tradition continued until the Reformation under Henry VIII and they vanished into the annals of history -

UNTIL

The 19th Century, when the newly-founded Football Association revived it as a means of ousting a naughty football player off the pitch for bad behaviour. The referee would say "you are being SENT OFF!!!" and would henceforth show him ... THE RED CARD!

That, dear bretheren, is the less-than-fluffy tail - er, tale - of the Stockport Were-Rabbit.

I thank you!

Login to post a comment

No account? Register here

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.