Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

LATEST NEWS » WALLACE & GROMIT CELEBRATE 70 YEARS OF THE BEANO!

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 31 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 31.
katie Aardman Staff Posted: Jul 22nd 2008

Wallace & Gromit make an appearance on the front cover of this month's Beano to celebrate its 70th anniversary, while their creator Nick Park stands in as guest editor!

beano_cover.jpg

As well as editing, Nick Park will also star in a special comics strip: a young Nick joins Fred and the titular Bed on a journey through the Beano’s 70 years, picking up the odd bit of inspiration along the way!

Park said that he had always wanted to become an artist but never thought that you could get paid for drawing comic strips.

"At school, I was a real daydreamer, particularly during the boring subjects. I enjoyed English because I loved writing stories," he said.

"One day my homework was to write a story about life as a caveman. In it, I had a pet Brontosaurus named ‘Arrgh’. I got the idea for the character’s name from The Beano as I loved all the crazy sound effects.

"The story was really ridiculous, but while my teacher was reading it out loud to the class, she started to cry with laughter. That was the first time I realised I was able to make people laugh through my work.”

"My dream job was always to work on the Beano and it’s such an honour for me to be Guest Editor for the Beano’s 70th birthday issue. It ‘s shown me just how much thought goes into every detail of the comic. It’s also amazing to appear in the Fred’s Bed story – it’s the ultimate honour I can think of!"

Click here to visit the Beano website and read the full Nick Park interview!

You can get your copy of the Beano on the 31st of July from all good newsagents. Wallace & Gromit will also feature in a monthly comic strip in the Beano Max, coming this August!

jordan Posted: Jul 22nd 2008

hehe news i broke earlier hehehe

cool as usual

i see theres that AMOLAD pic used in the interview on there site but we still havent seen a large hi-res version

wandgfan21 Posted: Jul 22nd 2008

i knew this a while ago it was in the beano club member e-mail and on the newsletter. members get all the privillages.

cinoa Posted: Jul 22nd 2008

i'v seen a cake of the beano guys in a cake book:-|

Chocachoc Posted: Jul 23rd 2008

Thats a nice picture :D

Luke Comins Posted: Aug 6th 2008

That's flippin amazing!! Two (well, err four) of my ultimate favourite cartoon characters in one comic! I think it's so cool that they're all mates! Pity I'm in South Africa on this occassion - we don't get a regular Beano in the newsagents here - but I might pick one up in about 6 months from a certain store that thrives on selling the old mags and comics that publishers and the likes in the UK don't manage to sell. They get shipped here in a huge box and sold quite cheap. One cool thing about it is that I now get the toys on the front of the comics. Back when I was a wee kid and got my weekly Beano and Buster comic there was always a stamp on the front of the comic that read "Sorry, attached gift unavailable to overseas readers..." That used to make me real sad. I have picked up the odd W&G and Shaun the Sheep comic at the same store I mention above too. Probably have about 12 in total. Pity we don't get those here either! As for anything W&G in this country - very rare. Oh well, enjoy the party! Congratulations Den! Here's to another 70 more!

Josephine Posted: Aug 6th 2008

I asked my newsagent to order a copy for me and I got the 70th Anniversary edition which details the history of the comic instead :O which is still great but I would have like it to be Nick P's edition for my growing collection!

Is it still available? If it is, then I'll go to another newsagent and pick it up tomorrow!

velyogendra Posted: Aug 6th 2008
:-(|)

I've seen "Beano" only once in the US. There was a photo of Eric Clapton (in a cd box set booklet) and he was reading it. Why I remember this, I don't know. Maybe it's because the box set "Crossroads" was amazing

Inika_Unite77 Posted: Aug 6th 2008

I love the Beano! And Wallace and Gromit! It's too bad I live in america. Every time I visit my relatives in england, I make sure to pick up at least one issue of the Beano. i wish I could get this one!:'(

batman Posted: Aug 7th 2008

i lllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooovvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee

THE BEANO:):):):):):):)

Josephine Posted: Aug 7th 2008

Yiptahoooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttiiiiieeeeeee!!!

My newsagent (Lord bless her!) has ordered it for me. How's that for service?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Can't wait!!!!!

Tee hee!

Sock Eye Salmon

byaboy Posted: Jan 1st 2009

The Beano rules.

timmythesheep848 Posted: Jan 2nd 2009
:D

cinoa Posted: Jan 11th 2009

how did u make that shawn icon!!!???
:O:O:O

Corcoran Posted: Jan 20th 2009

WOw! I didn't know beano like wallace and gromit .
What's next shaun the sheep on a dandy annual front cover? :D>:-)

Purple&Brown Posted: Jan 21st 2009

grometfan1 Posted: Mar 27th 2009

yeaa

cinoa Posted: Apr 10th 2009

how did u make that shawn icon again?!
:-(

mattgrom Posted: Apr 11th 2009

I woulden't mind geting that book but where do you get it.

NoCheeseGromit Posted: Apr 15th 2009

Nice illustration!

nam man06 Posted: May 6th 2009

i have this issue!

'

'

nam man06 Posted: May 12th 2009

Why have you posted this update?! that issue was last year!

nam man06 Posted: May 12th 2009

sorry for cramming the forum

Login to post a comment

No account? Register here

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.