Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

WALLACE & GROMIT CHAT » FIRE EFFECTS

Oldest
Previous
1 2
There are 51 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 50.
connor gorman Posted: Nov 4th 2007

How Do Animators Do A Fire Effect Like In A House Fire Can Some One Tell Me Please

bigballbubblehead Posted: Nov 4th 2007

nomaly cgi

connor gorman Posted: Nov 4th 2007

No You Dont Do Fire Effects with cgi in stop motion they use some kind of illusion to do it

cavor Posted: Nov 6th 2007

If you look at W & G Grand Day Out the flame from the match is an in camera trick, its made from red and gold foil cut in the shape of a flame. Try different size flame cut-outs and move them around each frame to create that jumping flame effect, you will also need to get your lighting right to get the desired effect.

Hope this helps

connor gorman Posted: Nov 7th 2007

yessss thanks alot cavor it did help

anti-pesto Posted: Nov 10th 2007

if u want a real big fire then yes bubble head is right as it is cgi

connor gorman Posted: Nov 10th 2007

But I Want A Film Without CGI

connor gorman Posted: Nov 10th 2007

But I Want A Film Without CGI

cavor Posted: Nov 11th 2007

Stick to your guns connor, Aardman used to always work at pains to do all effects in camera and i believe they still do.

Have you ever seen a house being burnt in a cartoon, flames coming out of the windows ,doors, roof etc all jagged, then it turns all chared and black then in a second collapses to the ground like a handfull of matches.

Sometimes you can lose the fun if you go to real.

bigballbubblehead and anti-pesto are only expressing there opinion as i am, the choice is yours at the end of the day.

jordan Posted: Nov 11th 2007

just set it on fire lol

anti-pesto Posted: Nov 11th 2007

i can remember fireman sam they did fire effects with stopmotion but dont know hw they did it

connor gorman Posted: Nov 11th 2007

haha lol

plasjas Posted: Nov 17th 2007

i have REALLY good way for the effect of lighting a match... it is SCOTCHLITE it is actually used for road signs but when light is shone directly onto it then it goes really bright and since it is sticky back plastic you can cut it and shape it into the designs that you want

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 27th 2007

In CGI, you have to use dynamics and effects and go to fire and set it up to how you want it to look. Really good Maths skills required and I'm NOT a Mathematician so in my opinion it's really hard, but you get used to it. However, I don't know anything about stop-motion flames.:D

cavor Posted: Dec 27th 2007

Mark the Shark here is a link to a little film I made some time back it has fire and explosions, made in Stop Mo there not the best but with the right time and effort much greater things can be achieved. http://www.freewebs.com/garageanimations/movies%20western.html

You have all the options good luck.:D

giratina3 Posted: Dec 27th 2007

hello

WOW! Cavor, you're altra-mega fand-aby-dosy! How did you make the explosion. That must have been really hard to do! And hello, Giratina3. Are you new?:)

The explosion was done by having a lamp set low down and having it set up with a dimmer switch, this I slowly turned up the intensity on frame by frame, when played back at normal speed you have your explosion.
If I remember correctly I also cut jagged (like pointed flames) circle shapes (bands) out of red and gold decorating paper these were supported at the back by wire, these would have been placed at various points of the explosion to give it that cartoon like look.
:D

Harry Posted: Dec 27th 2007

Very Good, Now I Have Done, Done What? Your Thinking. Well Cavor I Have Looked Through All Your Site, Very Interesting And I Love The BTS Images! Great Site, I Like The Weight Lifting Animation. Keep It Up, You Could Be Big, Can You Tell Me How To Make A Mould For Something! I Dont Know!

Thank you, Cavor. I meant to say this twenty minutes ago but I was busy. Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it.:D

Harry what do you mean I could be big! I am big! I ate all the minced pies!!....... sorry festive joke!!
Thanks for the comments
Im glad you liked the Behind The Scenes stuff, I've been trying to encourage people to post their stuff on this site, it helps every one.

Anyway Moulds you want to know, ok the type I make are best for hands, head & feet.

Press mould for hands

Carefully sculpt your hands.

Next you will need a non porous board on this board make 2 plasticine circular walls about 25mm high and say 80mm round.
Now get some thin ali wire 50mm long (2 pieces per hand) place through middle of the mould wall one at 12 o'clock and the other at 6 o'clock, while doing this you need to place one of your hands in the mould one end of the wire goes into the top of the index finger and the other piece of wire goes into the centre of the wrist, this is to support the hand while casting.

Now repeat with other hand, sounds tricky it is but the results are great.

Next you will need to make up enough casting plaster (I use Plaster of paris a lot of the time) for 2 half moulds,
Pour plaster gently around sides of hands tapping on the board rigorously to even out plaster and to release any air bubbles, make sure you only pour plaster up to half way.

Repeat with other hand in same way.

When the plaster has been set for about15-20mins get an old table knife (round tip) and with a twisting action sculpted out 2 small dish or scoop like shapes either side of the hands again repeat on other mould.
The scooped holes are to give a location key for the top plate.

Once the bottom press plates are dry (after 5hrs or over night) you will need to lightly wipe a release wax (I use clear shoe polish) over the plastered surface.
Then like before make enough plaster for the 2 remaining halves, pour over the top of the hands and bottom plaster sections, again tamper the boards so to release any trapped air bubbles.
Leave to dry for a minimum of 2hrs or over night.

Next you will need to remove the pasticine from around the moulds and with an old table knife score around the seam, now gently prise the 2 halves of you mould apart.

If you are finding this process hard to imagine refer back to my page on my website the one with The Weight Lifting Animation BTS images.
:D

;)

Wow, long thread. Thanks!

Umm,, Cavor You Just Wrote A Novel! Great Help, I Think, It Made Me Confused, Alot But I Will Now Go To GARAGE ANIMATION

Your not as confused as me I left the computer 15mins ago holding me head!!!

Why

I'm joking! Harry but i'm not used to writing as you say Novels so it tax my brain a bit.
Is it any clearer now?

Well, I Need To Look At It Abit More I Havent Even Started Modelmaking, As You See In Cracking Animation Book On Modelmaking Wat How Do They Make The Top So It Can Be Changed, Is It Rubber Clay, How Do Them Make The Inside

You two crack me up. Cavor, you really did write a novel!;)

cavor Posted: Dec 28th 2007

Here is a couple of pictures to go with my previous press mould post.

picture 2
edit sorry that didn't work!

i'll try again

Mr Magpie Posted: Dec 28th 2007

Thanks for the pictures, I understand now!!
It nice to know the tricks of the trade! Wallace and Gromit really have started something, stop motion can be so much fun!!
Everybody keep up the great work.8)8)

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 28th 2007

Yes. Great. But please tell me what the heck they are!!!:D

Press moulds for hands are for making replacement (plasticene) hands when your puppets hands are beyond repair it keeps a consistency to your work.

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 28th 2007

Ah, right. Thanks.

Harry Posted: Dec 29th 2007

cavor Posted: Dec 29th 2007

Plaster of Paris would be better or the professionals us dentistry plaster, alginate I believe dries out and cracks.

Ok Thanks

giratina3 Posted: Dec 29th 2007

hi there

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 29th 2007

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!! You're pointlessly going around forums saying that. Do something useful or shut up, please! Sheesh!

cavor Posted: Dec 29th 2007

Harry you quoted
" Well, I Need To Look At It Abit More I Havent Even Started Modelmaking, As You See In Cracking Animation Book On Modelmaking Wat How Do They Make The Top So It Can Be Changed, Is It Rubber Clay, How Do Them Make The Inside
"
The first picture of Wat is layed in clay the sides would then be built up with card wood or even plasticene, next plaster would be pour and left to dry.
When the plaster is dry the bottom half of the mould which at this stage is made of plasticene can be pulled away, next you repeat the first stage of the process on this half.
when the plaster is set you can prise the 2 halves apart.

The finished puppet is moulded using foam latex this is really for the professionals!

Its not a place I have been yet.
Hope this helps

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 29th 2007

Cracking Animation rocks! Especially the bit at the end where it tells you about CGI!:D

Thanks Cavor!

Harry Posted: Dec 30th 2007

I Might Order Some Newplast Today

jordan Posted: Dec 30th 2007

finally (ARE YOU ACTULLY ORDERING SOME ) woo

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 30th 2007

Where the hell do you get it?;)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

How do you do explosions?:)

mrpianokeys Posted: Feb 10th 2008
:O

in a grand day out how did they do the fire coming out of the rocket at the end when they were leaving the moon

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 10th 2008

That's what I like to know too!:D

mrpianokeys Posted: Feb 10th 2008
:O

someone must have an answer HELPPPPPPPP!!!!

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.