Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

WALLACE & GROMIT CHAT » CREATURE DISCOMFORTS

Oldest
Previous
1 2
There are 77 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 50.
jordan Posted: Nov 12th 2007

http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/
Brian the Bull Terrier

The creators of Wallace and Gromit unveiled their latest characters today - all of whom share a disability.

Aardman Animations have teamed up with the Leonard Cheshire Disability charity to launch Creature Discomforts, based on their much-loved Creature Comforts series.

The six animal characters are voiced by disabled people who talk about the discrimination and difficulties they encounter...

Pics Below

1. Brian The Bull Terreir

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/11/11/disabled/d2.jpg

2. Tim the Tortoise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/11/11/disabled/d5.jpg
Voiced by Ian Wilding, 50, from Cardiff

3. Peg the Hedgehog

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/11/11/disabled/d6.jpg

Voiced by Sheila Morgan, 73, from Cardiff

4. Spud the Slug
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/11/11/disabled/d3.jpg

Voiced by John Marrows, 77, from Chesterfield

5. Flash the Sausage Dog
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/11/11/disabled/d1.jpg

Voiced by Alex Milhaly, 57, from Chesterfield

6. Slim the Stick Insect

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/11/11/disabled/d4.jpg

Voiced by Irving Mellor, 66, from the Isle of Man

enjoy i know i am allready

http://www.leonard-cheshire.org/

http://www.creaturediscomforts.org

http://www.myspace.com/creaturediscomforts

videos and radio adverts now online

dan123 Posted: Nov 12th 2007

Thanks for the info Jordan

Gromits little bro Posted: Nov 12th 2007

luks gud aardman rock wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooho

connor gorman Posted: Nov 12th 2007

Looking Good

Josephine Posted: Nov 12th 2007

I hope they extend the disabilities to visually impaired people too!

jodyblue1 Posted: Nov 13th 2007

cool i hope they have a forum on that website.

dan123 Posted: Nov 13th 2007

Coooooooooooooooooooool

mort2001 Posted: Nov 13th 2007

emmmm i emmm...no about creature discomforts i do it,s a new aardman thing it is and it,s a bit like creature comforts.:)

Josephine Posted: Nov 13th 2007

Yep! Also, wouldn't it be great if there was a Creature Discomfort character that could do sign language for the deaf? Now THAT would be cracking!

jodyblue1 Posted: Nov 14th 2007

that would be briliant chuck.

Josephine Posted: Nov 14th 2007

Hiya, Jodyblue1! No doubt, the Aardman guys and gals would do a grand job! After all, Aardman was involved with a 1970's BBC children's art programme called Vision On where the presenters used a lot of sign language. It's an opportunity they can't afford to miss!

maston86 Posted: Dec 5th 2007

a characther that could do sign language would be amazing! No doubt it would take alot of work tho :) I was on the creature discomforts site earlier today and saw an animated picture, which can be used as a signature in forum profiles and e-mails! if you wanna use it you just need to copy and paste it, the link is:

http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/images/pitbull_emailfooter-fast.gif

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 19th 2008

I saw on the news almost a month ago.;)

policeman95 Posted: Jan 21st 2008

Is it a film or tv Adverts

Fish Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

WOW! I can't believe I missed this forum all this time!:O

Thank you THANK YOU, Aardman!!|-) I can't watch it because I'm in America, but I am so grateful you are doing this!

I know I'm not supposed to say personal information...but this won't tell you who I am exactly. I am nearly deaf. So I agree - sign language would be a wonderful addition to this show. |-)

jordan Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

its not a program there only adverts which are on for seconds

OH! But still, it is a very VERY good thing!

jordan Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

yeh thats why i posted it in november

Thanks for doing that, jordan!:)

DancingShauny99 Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

yes,I am so excited,I really love creature comforts and I like that they called it creature discomforts and theey are disabled

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

Yes, Fish, that should be good for you. Is it weird nearly being deaf, no offence. I've just never met anyone who's deaf.:)

conty Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

i love the little clips, i really like the tortoise with crutches, josephine would like him, he talks about not being able to get his sweets, hehe if he cant get any perhaps he eats mintballs too josephine!!!!!;)

I agree, Conty!:D

It is weird in some ways for me, Mark the shark. It might not seem weird to someone born this way - it would just be normal for them I think. But I used to be able to hear fairly well. The disorder I have is progressive, which means it gets worse and worse. I most probably won't be 100% deaf ever, but losing it is weird because I don't realize I can no longer hear certain sounds. I love birds, for example, but I can't hear most of their songs anymore.

There are advantages to being deaf, believe it or not. One day I was in a class and everyone was being tormented by some high pitched sound that no one could figure out how to silence. I couldn't hear it, and therefore was quite content!:D

Yes, I suppose that's why they say every cloud has a silver lining! Thanks.;)

Exactly so, Sharky!|-)

Thank you.|-)

Modelmaker93 Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

i saw one of them today at the end was the dog in the weelchair wearing a helmet:)

Josephine Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

Thanks for being kind, as always! My dad - Lord rest him - was profoundly deaf. I truly empathise with you, Fish.

I worked with an old man who used to take his hearing aid out in order to get his work done and avoid office gossip...and put it back in again when he was wanted on the phone! Yep, there is a bright side but it must be hard, though, especially with music, conversation and birdsong.

As I am old enough to remember Vision On (it was one of my top children's programmes on BBC1 and my first flush of love for all things Aardman), I thought it would be fun to have one creature (say, one with a lot of legs or fingers) that could do the sign language and another who would look and translate what the creature is trying to say with his/her hands.

P'raps some of you are well tucked up in the Land of Nod when the Sign Zone is on BBC1- especially those who live in the UK and Ireland (I'm not sure about anywhere else in the world but feel free to tell me). It is when a person who is proficient in sign language and lip-reading signs programmes for eg Holby City, Life on Mars, the Antiques Roadshow. You also see their lips move for the benefit of those who can lip read.

My mental picture says this is possible for the Almighty Aards to do - if it does take time, I'm sure it will be worth it!

I hope Creature Discomforts will be available on DVD - the proceeds could go to the Leonard Cheshire charity.

Conty - I have indeed watched the Creature Discomforts short ads on the Leonard Cheshire website (because they are the ones who asked Aardman to promote disability awareness). Yep, I also saw the one with the tortoise - it was poigniant as it was funny. I also saw the dog wearing a helmet. The bus shelter ads are cracking, too!

I can also imagine having his leg in plaster (after falling off a ladder after mending the rooftop windmill) and fetching and carrying for him as well as pushing in a wheelchair, facing all the obstacles that they have to overcome - could invent gadgets that help people with limited abilities...

Thanks, Josephine. The doctors tell me I am "God's gift" to lip reading. I didn't even know I was reading lips until the doctors showed me by covering their mouths while they talked. I realized I was feeling scared because I couldn't tell what they were saying. :O When they put their hands down, I was able to understand them pretty well again. I have learned a lot of sign language, but I have not used it much. I need to get back into it because I am forgetting some of the signs now.

Josephine Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

Good lad yerself, Fish, as the Irish say! I bet you are chuffed to mintballs that technology has progressed to text messaging, emails and all that stuff so that you don't feel alone when you are out and about etc. When you need your space, you are "over and out", if you see what I mean! ;)

Those of us who can hear have to put our fingers in our ears to blot out the noise! >:-)

Your docs tell you you are "God's gift" to lip reading! Wow! That's a great compliment. My dad (RIP) went deaf through illness years ago and could lip read a bit but not very much...he was an adult when it happened to him but frustration got in the way of persevering with it further.

So, when I began this message by saying "Good lad yerself!"
I hope you didn't think I was patronising you - oh, no! It was from the heart.. for everything I have written after that which I hope helps you. You have my prayers for continued strength and courage.

There's no need for us to tell you are amongst warm-hearted friends on his site. Keep socking it to us!!!!!

Thanks, Josephine! |-) I will keep socking it to you all and sharing my sole *oops* soul with the group without ever telling any personal details by which you might know who I really am. But I guess the most important detail about me here is my love for W&G and friends.

I am sorry your dad had such a frustrating time. :'( It's hard to adjust to hearing aids or to learn sign language or lip reading if you've been able to hear all your life, and then suddenly lose your hearing. My loss has been gradual and so I am given time to adjust slowly.

BTW, One of the secret benefits of wearing hearing aids is that they make dandy ear plugs if you turn them off!|-)

policeman95 Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

i'm sorry fish your losing your hearing i'm really sad now your rally a kind person on this forum i' hate to see you go 100% deafbecause i would be sad Hope you get well soon and your hearing dosnt go you will have a really hard life :'(:'(

Josephine Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

Yess, indeedy! There is always a bright side to adversity, Fish, even though it might not feel like it at the time... but I think you know that already!

Keep giving life SOCKS!!!!

It is a good thing that personal details can't be given out - it's a wise rule that is there to protect us all from hurt and harm... and tell everyone how much we love W&G!

Who knows? What we have talked about will enable awareness and respect - and that can't be a bad thing! 0:)

...and policeman95, your timing is spot on!

policeman95 Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

why is it spot on i dont get you

policeman95 - you are very caring in your message to Fish and the timing of your message is - well...

spot on!

Fish Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

policeman95, you are very kind! I do get sad about it sometimes - especially when I think about not hearing music.

But I'm hoping that the scientists will come up with a way to fix the gene that causes this deafness. Already there are some diseases that can be cured that way - by fixing the gene. So maybe in 20 or 30 years, I could just take a tablet or get an injection and *poof* I'd be able to hear normally!

cinders1 Posted: Jan 24th 2008

fish one of my older lady friends has two hearing aids, and i do her hair for her, but it always makes me laugh when she takes them out to wash her hair as she can always hear me when i say something rude, she never misses that!!!! or is that selective hearing!!! hehe:)

Fish Posted: Jan 24th 2008

All hard of hearing people are regularly accused of "selective hearing". I think it is because a hearing person doesn't understand what we experience. It isn't that the volume is turned down on every single sound for most of us. If I am facing you, I will most likely hear your voice when you speak, but I may not understand you because I cannot hear all the sounds your speech produces.

We lose the ability to discern sound at a particular frequency or note, if it would help to describe it in musical terms. These high sounds are mixed in with lower tones in speech.

If your lady is older, she most likely has lost the higher tones first - the most common pattern of age related hearing loss. She might hear lower tones quite well - even normally. Without her hearing aids, and in close proximity as you must be to wash her hair, she can probably make out most of your words, even though she might not hear the higher tones - and lose the "s" sound for example.

The difficulty for hearing people who must live or work with hearing impaired people is you never know whether what you say is actually heard if we do not respond. As hard as that might be, there is a grace to it all. If someone says something to offend me, I can choose not to respond - or to ask the speaker to repeat themselves even if I have heard it well enough to understand it. This gives people another chance to choose their words. And on some occasions, I noticed the "repeated" words were in fact a lot nicer words!:)

sorry fish i didnt make that sound very nice at all, it must be difficult for you and others and i do understand and i am very sympatheic to people with all kinds of disabilites, the lady that i was talking about is a very close friend and would never take offence, we torment one another all the time, and when i say that i say something rude i dont mean that i am insulting her, i dont know how to explain (man/woman stuff) rude!!! thats why shes always laughing, she might be old but no where near past it!!! good on her i say!!!;)

Fish Posted: Jan 24th 2008

cinders1, not to worry. I didn't take your remarks personally, and there is no harm done. I just thought it might be good to explain the selective hearing issue, since hearing impaired people are often perceived this way by hearing people. It's nobody's fault - it's just how it seems sometimes.

And, to tell the truth, this selective hearing thing is a bit of a sore spot for me. My parents thought I was willfully ignoring them at first, and I've got some very not happy memories of being of being punished for not responding or not hearing them right. I need to get over it! And it's true what you say - with my close friends and family we make a great joke of it when we can!|-)

i would like to share my little experiment with you all, have you heard of the saying, 'if your miserable your miserable alone and smile and the world will smile with you'?

well i decided after alot of thinking about the saying i would smile at people while i was out shopping, do you know everyone smiled back!!!! even the ones that looked miserable as sin, a smile is contagious!!!!!

the youngters that read this try it out on your teachers and family friends, youll be amazed, and it makes you feel good too;)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 24th 2008

Hey, Cinders! How's Conty. Is he behaving?!;)

conty Posted: Jan 24th 2008

of coarse i am, im a good boy hehehehe!!!!!;)

jordan Posted: Jan 24th 2008

lol conty how sthe models and stuff?

conty Posted: Jan 24th 2008

ok not doing anything tonight, been watching american idol and now im playing my drums with one eye on here, i need practice;)

jordan Posted: Jan 24th 2008

cool , cool

Josephine Posted: Jan 24th 2008
:D

Boom Boom! Welcome back, conty!

DancingShauny99 Posted: Jan 25th 2008

Is cinders contys mum?

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.