Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

WALLACE & GROMIT CHAT » PICTURES OF MODELS YOU HAVE MADE

There are 4248 messages in total. Showing messages 151 to 200.
conty Posted: Dec 20th 2007

cavor, thats great, you know thats how aardman make wallaces top, alot of people belive that they are made completely from plastercine but the vest isnt, so that wallace can be moved while animating, it gives the animator something they can touch without crushing the model, im sure you know that but just saying for the others that maybe didnt;)

im going to have to have a go at doing solid feet/shoes as i think that might help with the ole standing up business!!!

cavor Posted: Dec 20th 2007

Starting to mould the feet

Mould was painted with a layer of PVA glue then left to dry this acts as a release agent, I then coated the mould with a thick layer of polyurethane rubber this I left for about an hour, next I placed a oblong piece of snip foam into each foot then the aluminium wire legs were placed through the mould, the bottom of the feet were topped up with more polyurephane rubber with 2 half pennys set into sole and heal of each foot.

Did you know that some pennys have a high ferrous content meaning you can pick them up with a magnet!

Some professional sets have a thin steel sheet for the stage and you have a strong magnets underneath to hold onto steel plates set into the puppets feet.

WARNING THESE MATERIALS SHOULD ONLY BE USED BY ADULTS

Fully moulded feet still in the mould.

I left the feet to set for a couple of days then sanded the soles flat, then I had the great task of pulling the feet from the mould.

The idea of the layer of snip foam is to give it enough flexibility, as polyurethane rubber would be too tough on its own.

My Wallace Armature.

I drilled holes in the solid body for the head,arms and legs
and attached them using a hot glued gun WARNING! get and adult to help if you want to do anything like this.

Conty do you mix your pink newplast clay or do you use it straight from the pack. I feel its a bit too pink myself.

conty Posted: Dec 21st 2007

no i dont mix it as when i order my newplast i order a colour called skin, its very simular to the pink but just a little bit more fleshey in colour, i have by mistake used the pink as skin and your right it is not the right colour

cavor Posted: Dec 21st 2007

Next stage I model the legs then the arms.

See the templates of wallaces head & hands by his feet these greatly assisted the next stage.

Nearly there Wallace with-out hands

The finished wallace.

You can see my finished creation with my robot http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/creations/view/586
:D

Harry Posted: Dec 21st 2007

Fantastic, love it cavor, all i need is a place to buy some armatures, i cannot make them, and i need some newplast at the moment, i might go get some Fimo, Sculpey now and make the top for my character, i find fimo to hard,to model,

conty love your little piella family, and the rock star, i would go in his bakery, well done

cavor did you draw on the floor of the set on your wallace and robot creation, it looks like you have, anyway.

have a great christmas everyone, well done

Harry yes I did draw the floorboard effect I also gave it a coat of coloured vanish afterwards.

Conty you mentioned about making solid shoes well I designed Wallaces shoes to be able to bend with the internal core of foam see picture below.

The thing I didn't allow for is the weight of the plastisine on the armature body, I could have done with 4 strands of 2mm ali wire for the legs instead of 2 and I would say 3 strands of 2mm ali wire for the arms instead of 2.
:-|

conty Posted: Dec 21st 2007

thanks cavor your always a great help, will have to have a go at that later though as im working on a sculpture of a woman, i want to see if i can do something that looks like a real womans body shape, ;):D and thankyou harry for your comment :)

Modelmaker93 Posted: Dec 21st 2007

WOW, Really good models cavor and Conty please please tell me how you make our where you get the eyes from. can anyone tell me a good website to buy fimo clay from or sculpey or newplast please thanks alot And only 3 days till CHIRTMAS

Yippy

arnymate Posted: Dec 21st 2007

when are you(conty) and cavor going to make some films with your models their awsome.
soz if you have its just could we all see it on creations as both your model making skills are amazing.

Thanks for all the comments I hadn't done any sculpting for a while possible a year even! So it was fun getting back into the chair so to speak.

Modelmaker93 I bought the eyes (wooden beads) from a place called Craft Central which is a small craft shop within my local Wyevale garden centre http://www.wyevale.co.uk/centrelocator.asp you'll have to check on line as not all Wyevale stores have the craft centre in them, Oh I had to paint them white plus paint black pupils on the eyes (steady hand required)

If you are after fimo or sculpey I go to Penco art shop or Colmans stationers any good art shop should have some.

arnymate im hoping to do a bit of animation over the Christmas break so watch this space.

Merry Christmas in advance to you all.

conty Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

thanks arnimate, just waiting for the software for christmas then im going to have a go, your animation was great, :)

Joruus Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Hi,

I've just finished Predator - I hope You like him ;)

Modelmaker93 Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

wow really good modell of the Predator you should try and make the alien now if you arn't tired from making him lol keep up the good work.Thanks cavor.

Merry christmas

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Everyone's great at modelling on this web!

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Oh my god, Cavor. You're Wallace is incredible! Thanks for telling us how you made him!:D

Harry Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Cavor could you possibly make a few images of the sets main parts and what its made from, I want to do a animation, but I need a set like yours, I would appriciate it if you did, harry

cavor Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Harry I have posted some pictures of my set I used in my creation on this thread http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/forum/read/3075/1/1#new_messages have a look but if you need more info just ask

Harry Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

The other thing about it is i want to know how much the set will cost to make, i will just say what i want the set to be like without the props included. I need a wood floor like yours with a layer of magnet under it. some paper that will be good for the wallpaper. A door that looks realistic like yours. And how would you do carpet. I know how to do grass but not carpet. Please could you help me out and round it to a sensible amount of money you think it will cost. Also how do you make the door to move open and close?

Thanks,
Harry

cavor Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Hi Harry the usual thing for the base would be a steel plate with holes in it set on an outside maybe 50mm x 25mm soft wood frame, I believe Aardmans lay paper over there set a hand paint tradional style carpet design on this.

washers or steel plates are then set into the base of the feet and strong Rare-earth magnets are placed under the plate to hold down your puppet.

Im sorry I cannot help you with the costing of your set as I work in a trade where it is easy to pick up all the of cuts of ply I need.
You could try B&Q or Wicks.

I used small off cuts of piano hinge for the door hinges.

PS are have used a steel plate for a floor without holes drill into it and it worked well.

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 23rd 2007

Cavor, you know the Wallace tank top, what was that made of? Mark the Shark needs your help!;)

cavor Posted: Dec 23rd 2007

The info is all here look on page 3 of this thread.

Thanks. V-fast reply!;)

Good luck on your project

Harry Posted: Dec 23rd 2007

I Know, I Know, Its Made From FIMO As Cavors Was In His Step By Step Guide, I Feel Like Making This A Long Thread So I Will, I Am Planning On Making A Sheep, It Will Be For A Practice Video, Did Any Of You See The CBBC Newsround Pictures Of The Shaun The Sheep Behind The Scenes, It Made Me Laugh Where It Showed The Home Of Making The Sheep And Then At The Bottom Of The Picture It Said, The Only Place The Sheep Dont Want To Do To Is The Broken Sheep Box, But There Was Another Picture Where It Showed The Set, It Was Mahusive But Thats One Of The Only Sets There, Anyway I Am Making A Sheep But I Dont Have A Clue What To Use, It Will Be For Practice Rolling The Eye And Blinking, I Think I Might Put It On This Site, Anyway It Will Be A While Til I Make It So Hope To See More Of Your Creations Uploading And Hope FIMO Is What You Were You Were Looking For Mark The Shark, Have A Fantastic Christmas.

From Harry!

Mark the Shark Just checked......ooops I used sculpey for my Wallace, I use both you see, Im more interested in getting the right colour and sometimes I mix the two together they are very similar I feel.
Just going to do some editing

Thanks, Cavor. Say, do you know if Harry was talking to me. Sorry, I just don't know if he was talking to me or you or someone else. Where do you get sculpey? Thanks for the fast reply. ;)

I Get Sculpey From My Local Craft Shop, I Dunno Where To Get It On The Internet. I Will Have A Look For You, Harry

Thanks, V-much Harry! Merry Christmas! And were you talking to me with that big thread you sent?:D;)

I bought my last lot from Penco (craft & art shop) I also know that Colmans the stationers also sell it failing this I'm sure any good craft or art shop should have it.

Do you think Penco or Colmans the stationers are in Scotland somewhere? I know a good art shop but I'm not sure if they'll have it. Thank you Harry. Did you sent that massive thread to me?:)

Yep I Sure Did, Well It Was Mainly To You.

Google your art shops name see if they have a website or you could phone them and find out.

Thanks, Harry. Good idea Cavor. I'll be off to do that right now!;)

Its Ok

Merry Christmas!

And To You

Thanks!

Say, Cavor. Did you make those Techno Trousers in the back of one of your Wallace pictures. If so, another splendid creation from you! Cracking job!

cavor Posted: Dec 24th 2007

Sorry Mark the shark I didn't make those Techno Trousers behind Wallace thanks for asking anyway.

Modelmaker93 Posted: Dec 25th 2007

Yippy for me i got some new plast i am going to make the techno torusers when i am finished i will post a pic.

Go W&G Posted: Dec 25th 2007

This is a picture of my banana boy set i made for one of my films.It took me two days to make.

Adventure Quest 111 Posted: Dec 26th 2007

Wow! great set Go W&G

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 26th 2007

Great, Go W&G! How did you make the house behind him?:D

cavor Posted: Dec 26th 2007

Lovely set Go W&G, is that some sort of flying rig that banana boy is attached to.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.