Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

LATEST NEWS » SUPERFAN REVIEWS NEW FLEECED BOARD GAME!

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 39 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 39.
katie Aardman Staff Posted: Dec 7th 2007

Wallace & Gromit's cracking new board game, Fleeced!, has now hit the shops in time for Christmas! Want to know what it's like? Forum member and superfan Seb reveals all....

"Well here it is, I finally have a copy of Fleeced in my hands after waiting for over a year due to product delays in China! Upon opening you are greeted by the instructions booklet. With most board games this is the first item you find, and it’s usually a rather boring affair with the rules set out in a very unfriendly, uninviting way, but this is no ordinary game.

Indeed this game is the brainchild of Mr Nick Park himself so, like his films, you can expect something a little different! In this case, it’s the design of the instruction booklet. Presented as a newspaper you read about the problems that the citizens of West Wallaby Street are encountering as sheep run amok among the area – staking out in different buildings.

It’s a good job the instruction booklet is appealing, as otherwise it could be a real turn-off. You need everyone who plays the game to listen to everything in the leaflet carefully as there are a lot of rules which seem unfamiliar at first – a game like this having never been released before. After reading the instructions you should have a fairly good idea of what to do, but keep them at hand because for at least the first few games as you’re going to need to keep referring to them!

For a test-run of the game I got everyone in the family involved – my younger sister, myself (teenager), my parents, and even my mid-eighties Grandmother! I’m pleased to say that we all found it easy to understand (at least, once we had the hang of it!) and everyone was in agreement that it’s a sure hit and a game that will see a lot of use over the Christmas period and beyond.

The game takes a little while to get going, as there’s not much to do until you get sheep onto the board, but after ten to fifteen minutes it all gets going and you’re ready to rustle! From then on a game can go on for as long as you want it to. They can last for hours, but if you bend the rules a little and remove a sheep hideout from the board the game can speed up radically.

Sheep can be taken from either the village green, or you can steel them from other players before you take them back to your ‘base’ where they are safe (obviously I won’t go into exactly how you do that here – it’s a lot more fun for you to discover yourself!)

These are, however, the biggest drawbacks that we found, and really all it means is that you have to concentrate, which is never a downside as it means your mind won’t wander!

Overall the attention to detail far outweighs any real faults. From the rules created to assist parents with energetic children (no blowing of the whistles unless the rules specify you must – otherwise you must forfeit a sheep!), to the detail of the board. Wallace and Gromit fans will have a lot of fun looking at the clever artwork – one example being the ‘Drop Off With Snoozy Choc’ poster from ‘The Wrong Trousers’. The figures you use to play are also so wonderful you just want to remove them from the box and display them!

The big twists that can change the whole course of a game are also welcome – the best being any sneaky production of an ‘anti-rustle card’ that will stop evil doers in their paths (caught me out twice!)

Overall then, is this an essential purchase or not? Simply put – yes.

This is so original, and has to be one of the most fun games ever produced. Both Wallace and Gromit hardcore fans and newbies will enjoy this game for hours and hours, no matter what age you are. Nick Park has again created something so simple and yet so fantastic that it goes to show just how much of a genius he truly is.

One final thing to take into account if you buy the game: The instructions don’t say this, but once you use a ‘sheep hideout card’ keep it somewhere other than the envelope, i.e. don’t pick it again later. It seems they are specifically designed for one use and the game won’t work otherwise. This won’t make sense if you haven’t played the game – but, if you do buy it, bear it in mind!"

A big thank you to Seb for his great review of this game! You can check out more W&G film, game and comic reviews on Seb's fan site by clicking here. Want to write a review of this game? Feel free to post your comments below!

Click here to get more product information, or to order your copy online from Corgi!

Already bought Fleeced! but having problems with the whistles? Follow this link for advice: http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/forum/read/2336/1/

dan123 Posted: Dec 9th 2007

wow that's a long thread

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 10th 2007

Yeah, long. But, Katie, is Fleeced coming to Glasgow! I'd love it for Christmas!!!;)

kieran Posted: Dec 10th 2007

i don't like the whistles because i don't want other peoples germs on them so i might buy some cheap whistles from pound shop.

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 10th 2007

Oh, stop bothering, Kieran. The whistles are fine!

conty Posted: Dec 11th 2007

the game is fab, weve played it loads since we got it and its really funny nicking one anothers sheep, its great playing it with people that have a great sence of humour its a screem, i spend most of the time in the police station for russling!!!!:D but when i get out its easy pickings to nick any sheep on the green!!!;)

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 11th 2007

Is it really that great, Conty? If it is, I would love it for Christmas!!!

conty Posted: Dec 11th 2007

well my family love it :Dbut we do like a laugh and none of us are sore losers, i wouldn't like to play it with a salker as it can be frustrating when you've got your sheep nearly home and then someone nicks them he he
oh by the way ear plugs would of been a great addition to the game as sometimes the language can get a bit colourful too;) i love to pick on dad!!!;)

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 14th 2007

Well, it's definato going on my Crimbo list!:D

Seb Moderator Posted: Dec 15th 2007

Kieran, whilst I don't personally agree with that, just give the whistles a quick wash before each game, I do think it's a bit of a problem. My sister wouldn't play at first because of 'germs', and others would think that too I presume.

When it comes down to it though, they're not essential to the game and you could play without them - it would just be a lot less fun!

conty Posted: Dec 15th 2007
:O

does no one kiss anymore? or is that germs too? i say get over it and have some fun!!!, or if your fussy and you dont use the whistles, you can puccer up those lips and whistle yourself;)

Josephine Posted: Dec 15th 2007

I agree, Conty! As Lauren Bacall said: "You know how to whistle, doncha? You just put your lips together and blow!"

And who knows, a sound might come out!

If Kieran is concerned about germs etc. there are plenty of anti-bacterial products on the market that might well do the trick. Just wash, rinse, DRY THOROUGHLY!

cavor Posted: Dec 16th 2007

Well conty I read something a while back about a kiss that there was I believe over 250 bacteria in the average mouth
but bacteria are good as it builds up the resistance in your immune system.

Penicillin (anti biotic) came from mould.

While on holiday in Norway we visited a small place that would always get cut of by the snow (this was years ago before snow ploughs) and they had a special cheese that once it had grown a layer of mould it would be churned back in again this process was repeated about 7 times in all which gave a natural anti biotic effect.

I bet Wallace hasn't stumbled across this one yet.

conty Posted: Dec 16th 2007

how many germs :O but somehow i dont think thats gonna put me off kissing girls!!!!;)

springwizard Posted: Dec 16th 2007

I sure hope it would be avalible for USA Fans to order. Only problem is,say you have this bratty little brother who insists on blowing his Whistle all the time and in everyone's ears,just to annoy him. That BRAT deserves a TIME OUT!

conty Posted: Dec 17th 2007

the rules of the game is if you blow the whistle out of turn or at the wrong time, off to the police station for you and miss a turn!!!;)

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 17th 2007

Why have we all started going on about germs and kissing girls and things like that?!!! ;)

springwizard Posted: Dec 17th 2007

Well,I've never played the game before so how am I supposed to know what the rules are.NYYYYYAAAAAAHHH!

jordan Posted: Dec 18th 2007

argh every online shop that had it has sold out!!!

J-Snake Posted: Dec 18th 2007

Will it come out in the USA because i really want to play it but i cant find it any where:'(

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 18th 2007

Is it out in Scotland, anyone. I've been looking for it.

Josephine Posted: Dec 18th 2007

I'm still looking, folks, but there is one more place to try - by 'eck! This is worse than Yellow Pages and J R Hartley! ... however! I have found the origins of the Were-Rabbit in Medieval Stockport!

Josephine Posted: Dec 18th 2007

...and it's quite interesting!

katie Aardman Staff Posted: Dec 19th 2007

Hi everyone, Corgi games online should still have copies left, check out: http://www.corgi.co.uk/CorgiSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=WGBGF&ctlg=Corgi

J-Snake Posted: Dec 19th 2007

Hey katie do you know if the bord game is comeing out in the USA?

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 19th 2007

Hey, Katie, has it been released in Scotland yet because I can't find it in my local shops like ASDA and other places!

Hi J-Snake, there has been no official release in the US yet, although Corgi can ship worldwide (see the URL below)

Mark the Shark - Fleeced only been released in a small selection of stores including Hamleys and Forbidden Planet, although we hope there will be a wider release in the new year. At the moment it is also being sold online at numerous stores (Amazon, Forbidden Planet, Collector Zone) although I think Corgi is the only one who has stocks left for Christmas:
http://www.corgi.co.uk/CorgiSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=WGBGF&ctlg=Corgi

Wow, thanks, Katie. That was a VERY fast reply! Katie, could you possibly answer my forum about CGI softwares in the Arts and Crafts one. Because that would be great!:D

Hello again, I'm not a CGI expert myself, but I'll ask someone in that department and see if they have any recommendations for you. I'll reply on your CGI thread when I find out

Thanks very much, Katie. You're a lot of help!;)

J-Snake Posted: Dec 20th 2007

Ok thanks Katie :D

aaronius Posted: Jan 1st 2008

i got a copy of the fleeced game for christmas but it didn't have any instructions. does anyone know where i can get them. by the way i live in canada.

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 3rd 2008

Wow, Canada. Anyway, go to the forum where you can download them. Katie says you can!:D

animationking Posted: Jan 4th 2008

Seb Whats your avatar

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

One of Preston.:)

Seb Moderator Posted: Jan 5th 2008

Indeed it is! A personal favourite picture of mine!

Fish Posted: Jan 12th 2008
:O

I was reading through this thread and noticed: 1. Josephine said she found the origins of the Were-Rabbit in Medieval Stockport! 2: No one asked her what she found, even though she indicated it was quite interesting! I suppose that all the people responding were staying on topic...which is more than OK. But please PLEASE tell us what you found out about the Were-Rabbit, Josephine! 8) I'll be chuffed to mega mintball if you would!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 13th 2008

Yes, I would be too!8)

Login to post a comment

No account? Register here

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.