Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

WALLACE & GROMIT CHAT » 2D ANIMATION

Oldest
Previous
1 2
There are 100 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 50.
Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

Hello everyone. Although I'm really interested in stop-motion and CGI, I have a good intrest in 2D traditional animation. I know that there is a method that involves having a painted background and placing transparent things called cels on top of it, drawing the animated stuff on the cel. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get cels and if anyone has tips for 2D Animation.;)

jordan Posted: Jan 5th 2008

nobody uses cells anymore! its gone with the times, most drawings are hand-drawn, scanned, redrawn using computer, coloured and animated in something like flash or a in-house software develpoped by the company etc.

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

Yes, I know. Do you know where to get the software for this stuff like re-drawing and colouring and animating. But actually, they probably do use cels. Because of the Simpsons Movie. I'm certain they used cels for that!;)

animation boy Posted: Jan 5th 2008

nope. Im sure Simpsons was CGI, made to look 2-d. Because there are lots of panning shots around a character, which in cell drawn animation is incredibaly hard.

i recently made a short 2-d film here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FBxxsZXiSEc

cavor Posted: Jan 5th 2008

A lot of modern 2D cartoons are made using Maya which is a 3D CGI software, I believe Futurama is made with Maya and as Simpsons is made by the same guy (Matt Groening) it's very likely Simpsons is made using Maya to

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 6th 2008

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?! The Simpsons Movie WASN'T cel-drawn?! I'm sure it was because if you go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIAniTsjwQ it shows you drawing them. Yeah, I know that Futurama is made by Matt Groening too, even though I don't watch them. But if you have seen that film called Enchanted that just came out, the 2D bits in that were cel-drawn. It says on Wikipedia. Please reply! Oh, and thanks for that link, animationboy.

jordan Posted: Jan 6th 2008

The Simpsons Movie all original characters, scenes etc are
hand-drawn, scanned, redrawn using computer, coloured and animated, the street shots IE when bart is skating to

krusty burger with chief wiggum chasing after him all the buildings are 3D made to look like 2D to blend into the film. also the truck that homer wins is also 3D made to look like 2D.

the principal of the simpsons mvie was to keep the hand drawn look. but with modern technology, making things 3D that Look like 2D can be easier to create.

landscape shots are all 2D cloes ups etc but more complext stuff Cars , building in the perspective distance are 3D to Look Like 2D, Futurama is also done in the same way.

Nobody uses cell anymore. :)

Are they just hand-drawn with paper then? And how did they make 3D buildings look 2D? Do you know. If you did that would be amazing! I have to admit, I must have watched the Simpsons Movie almost a hundred million times ;) and I have noticed the truck they won was slightly odd because if you watch when Homer puts the ALASKA picture on the windscreen and then they go tumbling down, look at the car. It bounces as if it's not on a straight surface! :'( Anyway, thanks very much! Where did you find all that out?:)

some behind the scenes stuff and weekly animation research! :)

yeh all drawings are are actually drawn first with pencil then etc... :)

Thank you. Is the behind the scenes stuff on TV?:)

goatmaster99 Posted: Jan 6th 2008

by the way wikapedia not all wrong its a lie!!!!!!!:-(|)
i would have 2 say if i had 2 wat 2 do i would say give up on 2d use 3d like impact not that plane old stuff
if u look on http://www.mytoons.com/search/index/home?q=titch+the+wonder+dog i own both animations and gess wat
i'm only 11 i know its stop animation not 3d cgi but its still cooooooool

none of my info is from wikipedia, the behind the scenes disc came from a promotion in july.

You're telling me to just NOT try 2D? Give up? Jordan, do you know if you can still get this disc and where you get it?:)

Gromits little bro Posted: Jan 7th 2008

"nobody uses cells anymore!" that is not true! have you read any books?? take spongebob for example. Cells are used there.

Seb Moderator Posted: Jan 7th 2008

And you can get cells for things like Curse of the Were-rabbit, I should know, I have some!

jordan Posted: Jan 7th 2008

Mark The Shark:
The DVD was a promotional item given by the sun newspaper in july no longer available. im not saying not to try 2D??

Gromits Little Bro:
i dont think cells are used for spongebob

Seb: Not that kind of cell this kind of cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation#Traditional_ink-and-paint_and_camera

and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation#The_cel_.26_limited_animation

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 7th 2008

Jordan, sorry, I didn't mean you saying not to try 2D, I meant goatmaster99. Soz. Thanks Gromit'slittlebro and Seb. Does anyone know where to get cels? I'm sure SpongeBob's done with cels!:D

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 7th 2008

Seb, what kind of cel did you mean?;)

cavor Posted: Jan 7th 2008

I use a programme called toonboom Studio for making 2D cartoon bits, there are a lot of different programmes about.
You still have to draw but you have to scan all your pictures into the PC.

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 8th 2008

Thank you Cavor. Do you know where to buy this?;)

Gromits little bro Posted: Jan 8th 2008

oh yeah? spongebob does use sells i ve got an official spongebob book and it says so .

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 8th 2008

Is that an annual? Thank you Gromits little bro!:D

cavor Posted: Jan 8th 2008

Mark the shark I bought mine (toonboom Studio) while I was a student on a course so only payed for the educational version( half price ) if you are in education you maybe able to do the same, conty did something like this when buying stopmotion pro I believe.

Here is the site http://www.chromacolour.co.uk/store/animation_software_toonboom.asp

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 9th 2008

Thank you soooooo much Cavor! All you guys are great to me!!:D

Please answer my CGI forum?

claymo Posted: Jan 9th 2008

ive just visited shark:D

Thank you.;)

Does anyone know about other behind the scenes info of the Simpsons Movie.;)

jordan Posted: Jan 9th 2008

OOOO me sir me sir! i DO I DO

Go for it, Mr Jordan of the clan Jordan!:DHehehe! I'm sorry, I got carried away!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 11th 2008

Hello...Mr Jordan of the clan Jordan?

animationking Posted: Jan 11th 2008

i find 2d animation hard 3d easy

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 12th 2008

I agree. But I still wanna try it!;)

Anyone else wanna go at it?;)

leopard Posted: Jan 12th 2008

Me Me Me!!!!!|-)

Obviously, me and you are gonna make movies with each other. Hey, are we gonna make a thread telling them about FB?;)

Shall we?;)

leopard Posted: Jan 12th 2008

What's FB:-|

You know, Frog...wink, wink!;)

Gromits little bro Posted: Jan 13th 2008

the spongebob stuff is in Spongebob Exposed it tells u how to make it

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 13th 2008

What's SpongeBob Exposed?:)

Gromits little bro Posted: Jan 20th 2008

a book from amazon

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 20th 2008

Oh right. Thanks Gromits little bro!;)

policeman95 Posted: Jan 21st 2008

animationking i also think 2D Animation is hard.

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

It is hard but very rewarding I say.:D

policeman95 Posted: Jan 22nd 2008

True

jordan Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

i did 2D 3 times and would like to do more.

cavor Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

Have you got any 2D you could up load jordan I'm sure everyone would love to see some of you work even if its only a little test:D

jordan Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

i know i know must upload something, dont ahve much time to even egt my stuff done for my film! well the

first time i did it i never recieved a dvd version of it :( but i brought the original drawings home with me and re-did it then i did another little testy thing too.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.