Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

WALLACE & GROMIT CHAT » DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WORK MAYA?

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 24 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 24.
Mark the shark Posted: Jan 13th 2008

Hiya! Sharkie's back! As some of you know, Leopard and I have started production on a computer animated film called Frog Blast (see "Our New Plan"). I know fairly well how to work Maya (which is the greatest CGI software around in my opinion) because I have the demo but this demo is limited and watermarked. I have a question to all those who know how to work computer generated imagery (I may ask for more later). How do you make and render fur? Thank you for your attention!:D

Anyone?

conty Posted: Jan 13th 2008

im not sure if this will answer your question, but if youve got curse of the ware rabbit, in the making of the film aardmans explain how they animated the fur on the ware rabbit, im not sure if they used cgi for that bit, but i can remember that the ware rabbit was complicated:)

but frogs havent got fur, what you up to?!!!!!!!

cavor Posted: Jan 13th 2008

I feel you could be jumping in the deep end with your ambitious project!!
I personally don’t know how to get that far with Maya but can only imagine it being extremely complex to produce fur.
I would start with some simple tasks like a walk cycle or bouncing a ball, get some basics under your belt first, we are all guilty at some point in trying to walk before we can run.
I read on one of your posts that this film is going to be 30 mins long, I'm not trying to shoot you down Mark the shark but I feel the size and weight of your project might!
I know from my own experiences that a 1-minute project is big.

Doesn't Maya have a Tutorial section to learn from?

Good luck and I hope you can get a little bit of animation off the ground
;)

Cavor, that bit is about a certain other animal which is important in the movie but thank you for the help! Yes, Cavor that could be the deep end. I have tried bouncing balls and stuff and I love it! Maya does but it won't explain properly the fur! Thanks though. I will post some test results to this thread letter. See ya!;)

cavor Posted: Jan 13th 2008

I know they did some pioneering stuff on fur in Monsters Inc so if you have that film it could have the makings of, possibly to give you some hints

jordan Posted: Jan 14th 2008

the fur for wallaces ears was cgi not the wererabbit , also the bunnys in the bun vac were cgi

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 14th 2008

Cavor, I have Monsters Inc on video, not DVD! Darn it! I'll try and find the video of the Making of stuff on Youtube or something. Jordan, do you know how to make fur at all?:)

jordan Posted: Jan 14th 2008

nope never used the software sorry

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 14th 2008

:beaming:Oh, crud. Oh well, it is good! I've got the demo and it's very inventive!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 17th 2008

Anyone else?:)

cavor Posted: Jan 17th 2008

Mark just googled Maya forums here is one:

http://forum.simplymaya.com/

if you look there are plenty of others hope this helps were we haven't

;)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 17th 2008

Thank you.;)

rastophulus Posted: Jan 18th 2008

Doing fur is really easy - select an object, click on the fur tab and choose the fur type you want!

Making it look good is really hard though...

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 18th 2008

Hey, Rastaophulus! Are you making another Wallace and Gromit short! PLEAAAAAAAAASE!!!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 26th 2008

Pppplease?!;)

rastophulus Posted: Jan 26th 2008

Sooorrry! I've got to do rats now - a twist on the pied piper of Hamelin story. I've just started on the models and it's REALLY HARD!!! My first rat looks a bit strange o_O

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 26th 2008

Hey, Rastophulus, mate! Great to see ya! Oh, well. I wish I could see it. Your stuff is great!;)

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 14th 2008

Rastophulus, one quick question. Do you know how to simulate Maya cloth? Or have you not learned that yet? Just asking. It might be of use.:D

Modelmaker93 Posted: Feb 14th 2008

I have maya yippy i am learning how to use it at the moment

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 14th 2008

If you look at "Our New Plan" it says that in about a month, I and Leopard will start a thread about Behind the Scenes of our CGI film Frog Blast!;)

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 18th 2008

Rasophulus? Are you there?:D I kinda need to know Cloth. :-( But I think that's it. Do you know advanced features of cloth, like making it look wet and stuff? Anything?:D

cool chris Posted: Feb 20th 2008

mark the shark why not wite to aardman i did it and
they are nice and they would know how to work it
{ see letter mistary }

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 21st 2008

I did, in fact, write to Aardman and they told me about Maya. They are VERY nice indeed!;)

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.