Forgot Password?


Back to forum


There are 8 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 8.
Gromits little bro Posted: Jun 8th 2010

My recently completed animation as some non-original music in it. These range form segments of a soundtrack from WALL-E and a 30 second snippet from two 'pop' artists and a full length song of another. I want to share the video with all you guys on here but I want to know how I can avoid copyright infringement. Do I have to buy a licence? or if I acknowledge the artists and that the music is copyrighted will it be OK?
Basically, I'm looking for an answer based on personal experience or genuine knowledge other people's experiences (maybe an answer from Aardman (please) :) ) or if any of our core users of the site have had experience with it or indeed know from other incidents, what to do. If, I can overcome this, my animation will be shared with you in the very near future. If not then I will have to find another way around it.

Many Thanks,
GLB :)

shaun the lamb Posted: Jun 8th 2010

If you do not plan to make money from it, then to my knowledge it's legal to not have a license.

Gromits little bro Posted: Jun 8th 2010

Hm. I thought that if the music was synchronised with your film you needed to do something. Also where it is beng shown. Dang it. Copyright is confusing.

Ursrut Posted: Jun 8th 2010

Copyright law originated in the United Kingdom from a concept of common law; the Statute of Anne 1709. It became statutory with the passing of the Copyright Act 1911. The current act is the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Types of work protected
song lyrics, manuscripts, manuals, computer programs, commercial documents, leaflets, newsletters & articles etc.
plays, dance, etc.
Musical recordings and score.

7.The author of a work, or a director of a film may also have certain moral rights:
The right to be identified as the author.
Right to object to derogatory treatment.
Is what i found but the interesting part comes here : "(Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a license from PRS for Music.) I believe you should start here

LmLm Posted: Jun 10th 2010

I did an animation at uni for a music video and we had to have permission to use artists music. Some more well known artists may charge you for the use of their songs, but others may be fine with just giving you permission, you would have to get in contact with them. However the only way you would need to have permission is if you plan to make any money from the animation or wish to enter it into any festivals.

A really good source of music is MySpace believe it or not. There are a lot of unsigned artists that are more than willing to let animators use their tracks, all you have to do is ask. I'm sure they would be happy with the extra publicity. Or alternatively you could visit a royalty free music website and just download some tracks, here are the best two...

Hope that helped : )

Gromits little bro Posted: Jun 10th 2010

Thanks everyone. I am not looking to sell this or screen it at festivals. I guess that I can now upload it soon without infringement. I will look at this again, however, should I wish to show it at festivals.

Thanks for the links to various unsigned artists. However the famousness of the artists in question were key to creating this animation and they had to be recognisable to successfully make it.


GLB :)

Purple&Brown Posted: Jun 10th 2010

When will we see it GLB?

Gromits little bro Posted: Jun 10th 2010

Very soon. I will speak to my media teacher next week and it should hopefully be up the week after, If not then, it will be up two weeks after as I'm going on holiday.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.