Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum
Oldest
Previous
1 23
There are 124 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 50.
Harry07 Posted: Sep 26th 2007

Around The Forums People Are Saying How Do You Make Houses, How Do You Make Heads ect. So This Is The Forum Where You Can Hopefully Say Some Answers.

For The People Saying How To Do Houses In Wallace And Gromit There Are Just Different Sets For The Rooms And From The Outside You Can Just Decorate A Box!

FleaCircusDirector Posted: Oct 3rd 2007

For my Ratobat film I used some hand made wrapping paper as the floral wallpaper. I also used wrapping papers when making model houses for my railway as it's normally possible to find one of the right scale.

connor gorman Posted: Oct 7th 2007

on my film i have made a giant prison out of metal and wood were feathers escapes prison i used barbed wire for the fence straws painted black or you could paint it grey for the bars in the windows and for soil around i used plasticine or srcunched up newspaper painted brown

Harry07 Posted: Oct 7th 2007

Wow seems good

Harry Posted: Oct 24th 2007

You Could Easily Get A Cardboard Box And Stick Something Hard To It To Make It More Stable.

connor gorman Posted: Oct 26th 2007

Thats A Good Idea Harry

Harry Posted: Oct 26th 2007

FleaCircusDirector Posted: Oct 30th 2007

Don't forget that you don't need to make the whole house, just the bit that will appear in the animation.

You also need to think about making the set easy to take apart so that you can remove walls to place the camera in the correct location.

jordan Posted: Nov 2nd 2007

ive updated and rebult mine afew months back from the boring standard version i made 3 years ago. looks very cool now 5 sets is what im upto at the mo, probley 8 but the end of my next film.

concon Posted: Nov 17th 2007

i made a volcano out of paper mashay and made plactecine trees and red paint for lava

cavor Posted: Nov 18th 2007

Any chance of any pictures jordon, its great to see behind the scenes stuff that way we can all learn bits from each other.

concon Posted: Nov 18th 2007
:'(

what about me:'(

cavor Posted: Nov 18th 2007

concon have you animated your volcano yet? if so why dont you upload it or any pictures you may have.

plasjas Posted: Nov 20th 2007

i think it is a good idea to not let the set dominate so i find using colors that don't attract the eye are best

concon Posted: Nov 26th 2007

sorry but my little cusion got it and

its extinct

concon Posted: Nov 26th 2007

ill make a kool house and put on a pic ok cavor

Mr Mouldable Posted: Jan 5th 2008

everyone, I know how to make brilliant fake rock!

for things like quarrys and moons,

get a tub of ash
mix ash with water, pva glue, and add small stones.
stir adding water/ash till runny but not total liquid.
pour mix onto wooden board and let dry.

wola! works for me.

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

Someone has got to help me build sets!:'(

666joshy666 Posted: Jan 14th 2008

same

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 14th 2008

Welcome to my world, 666joshy666!;)

cavor Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

Part 1

I was asked about animation tables so i've put together a sort of information pack kind of thing.

In the UK (Aardmans way) I believe it has become the norm to have you stage platform made of steel plate 1.5 mm thick aprox (with holes drill through) this the animator places a strong powerful magnet underneeth the table holding down the foot (small steel plate on soles of feet) of the puppet.

I find it best to have the table so I can assemble it when needed (see picture below )also it is good to have access around the sides for differnt camera angles plus placement of lighting the.
The steel plate I have doesn't have holes drilled in to it but I still get a good stable grip of the puppet, I expect the holes drilled into the plate (the professional way) is to assist the magnets as well as convenience for tying things down to your stage.

Useful links on Magnets & Armatures

http://www.animationsupplies.net/shop/magnets.shtml

http://www.animationsupplies.net/shop/magnet_extras/pro_tie-down.shtml

Part 2
This picture is of an Aardmans type set up at the Bristol Uni. :D

Part 3

The American way Tie downs.

I have found these very informative links which shows you all about Tie Downs, again notice the temporary nature of the stage plus the access around it

http://www.stopmoshorts.com/gallery/index.php?action=showpic&cat=16&pic=210

http://www.stopmoshorts.com/gallery/index.php?action=showpic&cat=16&pic=142

Here is a table set up for Tie Downs complete with IKEA legs

http://hmontes.deviantart.com/art/Stop-motion-animation-studio-4-30891284

:D:D

cinders1 Posted: Jan 23rd 2008

hahahaha we looked at those legs in ikea the other week, and i swore never again!!!!!or what ive renamed the place divorce world, everyones arguing!!! one thing i have noticed the tables are set high, thats one thing we will have to think about with his height, i guess thats so you can stand to animate?

i think ive found his next job, i think instead of icing he could make an animation table!!!! i will post a picture of his creation when hes finished:) thankyou for all your help, your a star!!!!!:)

jordan Posted: Jan 24th 2008

god i couldnt be bothered with tie downs look like a right faff lol, anyhoo my characters stand perectly fine on sets anyway which is a good thing

cavor Posted: Jan 24th 2008

I prefer using magnets to hold down feet can work faster than the tie down method!

Its ok to have nothing holding down your feet if say you puppet was 6" tall (like morph) but when you get to 9"-10" things can start to topple over!

;):D

jordan Posted: Jan 25th 2008

all of my charcters are 10" and are heavy so they donr really move no way you can do a walk cycle they kinda shuffle

cinders1 Posted: Jan 25th 2008

hehe jordan is your movie about an old peoples home with all that shuffling!!!! sorry i couldnt help that one hehe;)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 25th 2008

WOW! Thanks Cavor!;)

jordan Posted: Jan 26th 2008

no its not about old people lol

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 26th 2008

What?:D

jordan Posted: Jan 26th 2008

contys mum said was my film about old people and i said no cause it isnt

cinders1 Posted: Jan 28th 2008

sorry jordan, i was only joking about the shuffling!!! ;) hows your web site coming on? im really looking forward to seeing some of your work:)

jordan Posted: Jan 28th 2008

oh yeh

cinders1 Posted: Jan 29th 2008

i tried you link jordan, how long do you think its going to take you to get it up and running?:)

conty Posted: Jan 29th 2008

jordan when you make your models, are they all plastercine or do you use foam?, i was reading on deviantart that some modelmakers use foam or tin foil inside, have you ever tried it?

ive been thinking about trying it as i find my models are too heavy aswell, whats your thoughts on it:)

jordan Posted: Jan 30th 2008

thats odd i thought i replied cinders well i did ? .... odd. sometime in feb i think.

J-Snake Posted: Jan 30th 2008

hey cavor when you were talking about tie downs you said that you used magnets. i was wondering what kind of magnets do you use because i use the U.S.A. kind and it take alot of time.

cinders1 Posted: Jan 31st 2008

yes you did sorry jordan, sometimes i write something and forget to press the post reply button, i thought thats what i had done again;)

jordan Posted: Jan 31st 2008

ah right

cavor Posted: Jan 31st 2008

J-snake if you look at my 3 part info on Sets above you will find all the links for magnets (uk)etc that you should need ok;)

I think its in Part 1 I believe!

little edit here found a USA link for the magnets which are Known as Rare Earth Magnets http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magnets.htm?g&gclid=CJ_C6Jr-oJECFQFZQgodP0RsOw:D

J-Snake Posted: Jan 31st 2008

ok thanks cavor that should help a TON!!!!

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 31st 2008

Hello, everyone.:D

cavor Posted: Feb 1st 2008

Here is a behind the scenes set picture from a project I made a while ago

cavor Posted: Feb 1st 2008

Is anyone going to join me on this one!! FleaCircusDirector is the only other member posting picture's of there set ups on here, it will be probably best if you aren't in the picture youself as that is I think braking the rules of the forum ;)

J-Snake Posted: Feb 2nd 2008

WOW Cavor that a great set how did you make it???

cavor Posted: Feb 2nd 2008

10 percent inspiration 90 percent blood sweat and tears!!
Plus about as many years experience in Carpentry & Joinery (making things out of wood) as Wallace & Gromit have been around!!

jordan Posted: Feb 2nd 2008

just been cutting out my new set what a nightmare them windows!

cavor Posted: Feb 2nd 2008

Any in production photos Jordan!! it would be great to see how things are shaping up:D

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.