Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

GENERAL CHAT » RELIGION

There are 295 messages in total. Showing messages 201 to 250.
mk7 Posted: Feb 22nd 2012

All theists have their own personal beliefs.

I am monotheistic (I believe in one god)

I beleive that there is a god, that there is a heaven, but it doesn't segregate agaisnt religion, just on what you did in life and if it was good, you go there if you were just like average, you go to a place called limbo, like the feilds of Asphodel in greek myths where everyone just mills about aimlessly. I believe if you were bad, you go to the bad place. I beileive that Jesus did exist, but that he wasnt the son of god. Like Jews and Muslims, I accept him as a prophet, like Moses and Mohommad. I beileive that we have yet to be saved, that the Messiah has yet to come.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Feb 23rd 2012

Hey Mk7, Could you do me a favor? I mean, it's up to you, but I've been reading over your writings, and I think you would like the books, " Mere Christianity" and "The Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis ( The guy who wrote the "Narnia" books.) I would start with " Mere Christianity". C.S. Lewis, was an atheist turned Christian, and also he was very smart. He talks about God, faith, morals, and life in a very educated manner. I don't know how old you are, ( because you're not supposed to tell) but you seem, from the intelligence leval of your writings, like you would understand the books, a lot of it is just common sense that no one thought to wright before. The book starts with a general look at life, then explains the Christain faith.. Maybe if you can, check out ( from the library) or buy "Mere Christianity" and tell me what you think. Lewis presents the Christian faith, and just everyday life, from an interesting and educated point of veiw. He is also entertaining, so I don't think you would be bored. :) The book was a series of radio broadcasts he did on morals and faith after WWII, so it's broken up into very short sections, so it's very easy to read. It's best to read the whole book though, because it builds upon itself. Maybe if you can, try to read it and tell me your thoughts about it. Like I said, you don't have to but, judging from your writings, I really, really, think you would like it. :)

Actually I would recomend this book to everyone, Christian or not. It is full of good common sense,presented in an educated, entertaining way. I would recoommmend the " Screwtape Letters" as a follow up. I think most anyone would enjoy these books, Christian or not, and can derive at the very least a better look at life from them.

mk7 Posted: Feb 23rd 2012

Cool. I'll look into those when I get my NOOK back (its in the repair shop)
As to my age, I AM 1 YEAR AWAY FROM ENTERING HIGHSCHOOL so that should give you an aproximate geuss as to my age

Great! I loved the Narnia books, but I had never read any other Lewis book until my pastor gave me " Mere Christianity" before I started college. most people think that the book is for adults, or it''s difficult to understand, but I think it should almost be required reading for pre teens- through-young adults. Like I said, Christian or not, what he says about life, and human beings make sense. In addition to that, it is also a great witness/testament of the Christian Faith. He answers alot of questions about the faith, because, as a previous atheist, he asked a lot of questions from that viewpoint. (Oh, don't skip the intro because it's important for setting the time period in which these lectures were written.:) I'ts not a story book, but If you want an eucational book, that won't bore you to tears, or if you've ever benn curious about Christianity, I would definitely check out this book. Like I said, for those who aren't Christians, don't let the " Christianity" scare you off, still give the book a try because it makes sense. :) I'm pretty sure you'll like it Mk, I would recommend following up with " The Screwtape" letters. but I'll talk more about that book later. :) Happy reading! :)

Gromits little bro Posted: Feb 23rd 2012

Woops, i leant on my keyboard

Sorry?

iantimothy Posted: Feb 23rd 2012

Aww! You beat me to it! I was going to suggest "Mere Christianity" but you got to it first. I don't really like the Narnia books, but when it comes to Mere Christianity, Lewis was a very good writer.

mk7 Posted: Feb 23rd 2012

I liked Narnia. I read the first and part of the third.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Feb 24th 2012

Iantimothy, Have you read " The screwtape letters"? My dad just gave me a copy to read. I'm in the process of reading it. :)

sinderella Posted: Feb 24th 2012

thanks loveshaun19 to introduced this thread.my religion is christian.
in my thread, you introduced this thread.thank you very much.

You're welcome. :)

" For it is by grace you have been saved,through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works,so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."-Ephesians chapter 2 verses8-9, from the Bible this is one of my favorite passages

w&gfan75 Posted: Feb 24th 2012

that is a great passage isn't it

puppylove Posted: Feb 24th 2012

guys please dont talk about books here. ive made a treat about it if you guys want go there:-|

iantimothy Posted: Feb 24th 2012

But the books being discussed are relevant to the thread.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Feb 25th 2012

They have to do with religion/faith though. We we're discussing the contents of the book mainly. Yeah W&Gfan, I love that part in the bible. I like thewhole book of Ephesians. :)
Are you a Christian?

w&gfan75 Posted: Feb 25th 2012

No, i'm Anglican but i've gone to catholic school's all my life. I plan on switching to catholic in a year or 2;)

Um, maybe you missread what I said, I said are you CHRISTIAN not CATHOLIC. I wasn't asking your denomination.

w&gfan75 Posted: Feb 25th 2012

oh sorry

TMC

That's fine. :)So, are you? :)

LoveShaun19 Posted: Feb 26th 2012

Who else has read something by C.S. Lewis?

LoveShaun19 Posted: Feb 27th 2012

Hey W&Gfan, did you see my question?

w&gfan75 Posted: Feb 27th 2012

yes, but i don't really understand it

LoveShaun19 Posted: Feb 27th 2012

I was asking if you're a Christain. ( The one below it was just a continuation of a general doscussion)

iantimothy Posted: Feb 28th 2012

he said he was Anglican, and planning to convert to Catholicism, (God bless him)

Both Anglicans and Catholics are christians, so by logic, yes he is a christian. 0:)

aiden szewczyk Posted: Feb 28th 2012

I am catholic :D

LoveShaun19 Posted: Mar 5th 2012

I know Iantimothy, but just because you're raised Baptist or Catholic or whatever doesn’t make you Christian. It has to be something you choose personally. That's why I was asking, just to clarify. :)

puppylove Posted: Mar 5th 2012

hi

puppylove Posted: Mar 5th 2012

it worked! ive been trying to write in the site for DAYS and it didnt work!:D carry on. dont give this any attention

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: Mar 5th 2012

it happened to everyone puppylove but the aardman staff fixed the problem

iantimothy Posted: Mar 5th 2012

Loveshaun. Actually if you are baptist or catholic then it does mean you are a Christian. A Christian is defined as one who believes Jesus of Nazareth was the son of God, was conceived of the holy spirit, performed miracles, died for the forgiveness of sins, raised on the third day, ascended to heaven and will one day return.

And by definition, both Catholics and baptists fit into that category.
There are some who were raised I. Faith, but fell out of it, usually those people refer to themselves as, "I used to be baptist" or "I was raised Catholic"
But if someone says, "I am a Catholic" or " I am a baptist" then you can assume they believe in what I already stated therefor making them Christian

LoveShaun19 Posted: Mar 5th 2012

Right. I agree with you, I was talking about people who say, " Well, I've gone to church so I'm a Christian". Generally if one says they are Baptist or Catholic it can be assumed they are Christian. Perhaps you misunderstood me. Sorry to cause confusion.

iantimothy Posted: Mar 5th 2012

Good then we are on the same page.

Can i ask you a question, you said earlier "It has to be something you choose personally.

Do you believe that there has to be one single moment where you recognize Jesus as "your personal Lord and savior" and you have to have that exact conversion moment, and what if you are brought up in faith and have never not believed that?

Just curious because I know some people believe that, and i wanted to see your take on that.

Banjo Boy Posted: Mar 6th 2012

Hey iantimothy, I wanted to chime in here. Based on my beliefs, the answer to your question could be both. I personally have believed in Christ since I was a toddler, so I was raised that way, but I still believe it today, and I haven't ever considered converting to any other religion. But there's also the case of the teenager or adult who hasn't believed in Christ for a long time, whether they were raised that way or not. Since they are beyond the proverbial "age of reason", they need to realize themselves that Jesus is their Lord and Savior. They can decide to study up on it more before they make a lifetime commitment, but ultimately they will have to face a moment of decision. I hope that clears things up, and LoveShaun19's answer will probably be even better.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Mar 7th 2012

Actually, I think you put it rather well. That's pretty much what I was going to say. My story is a lot like yours. :)

The Return of CrackingToast Posted: Mar 8th 2012

Well, I don't believe in any religon. I'm British and was raised Christian but i'm an atheist. I went to a Church school and so I had all of this stuff shoved down my throat and i'm glad that i've had the power to ignore it. I could think of many points that are a little hard to answer if you have faith. E.G. The Bible states that God created the world in 7 days. Since God was supposedly the only living being at the time, how does anybody KNOW that he made the world in 7 days? The answer is: They don't. I appreciate how religon gives people faith and hope, but i'm utterly content with finding faith and hope in other things where they aren't false. This is just my opinion.

Banjo Boy Posted: Mar 8th 2012

Well, The Return of Cracking Toast, here's what I think: The God I believe in is supreme and indescribable. He wants what's best for us, so He created this world we live in, and then had some people write down that it took seven days. You're correct in saying we can't physically prove this fact, and that we must accept it by faith. But the same could be said about the Big Bang (not saying you believe in that). Also, consider this: how do you know that your parents gave birth to you? What if they had adopted you and you never knew, made up a second birth certificate saying that you were theirs, and never told you? You have photo albums, but a lot of babies look alike. You can't physically prove this, but you trust your parents to tell you the truth. That's my perspective on God's creation.

iantimothy Posted: Mar 8th 2012

If you look at the Bible as a history book (particularily the old testament) then what you will find will be a very allegorical, poetic, symbolic, and law driven book but it is not.

While you are free to believe in a 6 day creation, Genesis can be looked at much more symbolically, The sacred author 3000 years ago wrote down this story from oral tradition, so add another 700 years. so we get a story that is almost 4000 years old.
It was never intended to be taken absolutley literaly as 6 days.

It is to illustrate a point, God created the world out of nothing, he created everything. Then he created humans out of the dirt, that can be taken as symbolic language. Theistic evolution fits in here. God created the world 13 billion years ago, and let from that evrything evolved and at some point the anscestors of humans evolved into humans, and God gave them a soul.

That is just one way of thinking, The Catholic Church allows to believe in an allegorical interpretation of Genesis like that, or a literal interepretation, but of coarse when you take it literally the earth would only be 8000 years old and that just doesn't make sense.

Nothing in the bible contradicts science, you just have to take into account the time period, what it was being written for and who it was written by.

The Return of CrackingToast Posted: Mar 8th 2012

Banjo Boy: There are alot of things that can prove I am the son of my parents. There are many facts that can support the theory of evolution, or the big bang theory. How many things can prove the Bible correct or that the miracles of Jesus happened or anything like that? Think of it this way: In Science, you prove something and come to a conclusion about it. In Christianity (and many other religons), you look at the conclusion (The Bible) and try to come up with some proof for it. How many times has a religous or age-old explanation to something been proved wrong by science? Many times. How many times has a scientific explanation to something been proved wrong by religous explanation? It hasn't.

Iantimothy: Hi there. It's nice to see someone NOT taking the bible completely literally for once. I completely understand you're point, but erm, put it this way, i'm not a believer yet. :)

that's fine, I would never try to convert someone that didn't want it.
There are lot's of miracles that have happened througout the ages especially in the Catholic Church. Faith shouldn't be dependant on miracles though, it is kind of interesting to look into though, just from a human interest perspective. if you look up "incoruptable saints" there are saints who are not embalmed who are hundreds of years old that look like they are just asleep. And Eucharistic miracles where the communion host turns into visible flesh and blood, there is one of these in Lanciano, Italy where there was a eucharist host that turned into flesh and blood 1300 years ago, and the flesh is still fresh.

I agree with you though, some people take the bible waaay to literally. I live in Kentucky, and there are people here in the mountains that read Mark 16 where it says "they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all"

you have to look at the context of passages obviously Jesus is speaking symbolically there. But there are these hillbilly kind of people that have snake handling services, where they go out into the woods, find VENOMOUS snakes and then pick them up and handle them and dance with them. A lot of people get bitten and die from those ceremonies. They also will drink poison, because they think nothing will happen, sadly that isn't always the case.

The Bible is actually a much better read if you don't just read it the same way as a history book. It also helps to know the historical context of things that were in it. So you can know the difference between the very law driven book of Leviticus and the poetic symbolic of Job.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Mar 8th 2012

Crackingtoast, you said earlier that " i'm utterly content with finding faith and hope in other things ". I'm just curious, what other things where you talking about? Coud you be more specific?

maybe things like nature, or music, or art, which is definitley true.

I go to a Xaverian brothers Catholic school and one of the principles of the Xaverian Brothers is

"If you allow yourself to be formed by God
·through the common, ordinary, unspectacular flow of everyday life,
you will gradually experience a liberation and freedom never before imagined".

I God isn't just in church or in the bible, I don't know how someone cannot see God when they look at a forest or a stream or in for some people, myself included, through art, it is a God given talent and when you use that you can always find happiness and joy and freedom.

just my thoughts 0:)

LoveShaun19 Posted: Mar 8th 2012

Right, but they said they where an atheist so I was just wondering.

puppylove Posted: Mar 9th 2012

craking toast,
i know how u feel but the way u speak it seems like the only religion in this world is catholisism and the bible. personally, i dont like the bible and i dont belive it specifically. i am a carthesist like i mentiond many times in many comments on this forum.(read some if u like). i am a carthesist and im proud. i dont belive and many "baloney" the bible says like god created the world in 7 days or adam and eve of other things. i belive in different types of heaven and hel, medunism and others. i also dont like cartholisism cause many times in many senturies peaple use and still trick peaple with lies of those belives like por example that u have to pay the church for forgiveness and to have a house in "heaven" u have to pay too! BALONEY! dont be mad at something u dont belive in, try to find a relegion u like cause there are many or u can just belive in god. that what matters anyways. i know there will never be scientific proof of god but the truth is that sometimes, the most real things in the world are the ones u cant see :)

LoveShaun19 Posted: Mar 9th 2012

Well, in Christianity, There is a verse in the Bible that says even the devil and his demons beleive in the existence of God, so according to that verse that's not all you have to do. You actually have to give your life to Him, and admit his authority.

Banjo Boy Posted: Mar 9th 2012

I very much agree, LoveShaun19. Iantimothy: I do see God in nature. I go camping very often, and when I see the mountains, lakes, or even just miles and miles of wheat fields, I think: "Wow, this is amazing. God is very creative to make all of this. How could someone believe that this happened by random chance?" (Not saying you believe in that; I'm talking to Cracking Toast now, too). If evolution is happening today, right now, I'd love to see an apeman. So what if it's happening super-slowly, there should still be apemen and other combinations of different animals. And if we humans are changing from generation to generation, really slightly, then why don't the Three Stooges or Buster Keaton from way back when look any different than we do? By the way, I do agree that there are a lot of symbolic things mentioned in the Bible, but I also believe it's a history book. Haven't you heard of the guy who set out to physically prove the Bible wrong, and then became a Christian because he just could not?

The Return of CrackingToast Posted: Mar 9th 2012

Well, I mean, I find faith in Music mostly. If there's anything that truly give me pure joy, it's music. I'm obsessed with The Beatles. I own every single one of their songs. I love other artists such as David Bowie, The Smiths/Morrissey, The Kinks etc.

Puppylove: I'm referring to Christianity as a whole, rather than Catholicism. I know alot about Christianity and not quite so much on other religons because I was brought up on Christianity so I don't think it would be right if I argued against a religon that i'm not so clued up on such as Hinduism or Buddhism. In terms of evolution, it's not asthough we are changing loads with every generation. Not at all. The Three Stooges or Buster Keaton, in terms of the history of Earth, really aren't that long ago. Yes, i've heard of that guy. We are all unique, I simply differ in my opinions to him.

iantimothy Posted: Mar 9th 2012

Puppylove you said "i also dont like cartholisism cause many times in many senturies peaple use and still trick peaple with lies of those belives like por example that u have to pay the church for forgiveness and to have a house in "heaven" u have to pay too! BALONEY!"

You do know the church NEVER EVER has taught that. for one thing the Church in the middle ages ABSOLUTLEY condemded paying for forgiveness of sins, that is something that is so horrible, that some priests thought you could do, but the church has never even had the though of paying for forgiveness. And the Church has never said that heaven is a physical place or that you get a house if you pay, This is all just anti-catholic "baloney"
To say things like that is kind of insulting, to say things that aren't true that are an insult to someone's faith.

People on this thread have been very good about being respectful, but to call someones religion "baloney is taking it kind of far"

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.