Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

GENERAL CHAT » RELIGION

There are 295 messages in total. Showing messages 151 to 200.
Gromits little bro Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

I hated the Grilled Cheesus episode of Glee, it was too forced.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

I don't mean it direspectfully but according to the Bible, ( And since I'm a Christian, I beleive it. ) There is only one way. I'm not intentionally offending. I'm just stating the truth according to God's word.

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

ok

TMC

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

if someone admits that their beliefs even have the possibility of being wrong, then what would that say about the strength of their faith, just because I believe a faith is wrong, doesn't mean it is bad, but there can only be one TRUTH.

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

I agree with Mr. Techno Trousers. I also agree with LoveShaun19. I think that everyone is entitled to their own belief.
As a famous man (and my social studies teacher :) ) once said "You have the right to swing your fists, as long as its not in my face. This was at the time of the writing of the bill of rights, and it said you can do what ever you want as long as it doesnt negativley effect the rights of others. In this situation, it means that you can believe whatever you like as long as it doesnt effect the choices of others.

This can mean you can worship the devil (I DO NOT SUPPORT DEVIL WORSHIP THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE) as long as you dont kill any one in a ritual.

It can also mean, you can believe whatever you like as long as I still have the right to believe whatever I like and I wont try and change your beliefs if you dont try to change mine.

puppylove Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

i agree with mrtecnotrousers (even thought im not shure exacly why hes saying that) respect peaples beloives even if it voddo or something like that:-|

Banjo Boy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

A lot of people say that we need to "respect others' religions". I don't believe that. I believe that we should respect their RIGHT to have that religion, but I don't need to necessarily respect the religion itself. If I respected a religion I don't believe in, what's to keep me from converting to that religion? You all have the right to whatever religion you want. None of us here will tell you otherwise. I also don't believe that Protestant Christianity is a religion. It's a close, personal friendship. Bring on the comments.

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

banjoboy what religion r u?

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

@ Banjoboy Wait, what? Are you dissing protestants? I'm not one, but in the U.S 50% of the people are protestants, so you will probably get pegged by all the people looking at this. This thread is meant to be a freindly debate, where we can agree to disagree, so its okay to think your way is right, but you cant think other peoples are wrong, just different.

Also, loveshaun, I know your a christian, but what sect are you? Just curious

i agree

with who?

you

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 20th 2012

no he is not dissing protestants, because he is one, he is saying that it is not a religion, but a friendship with Jesus, which is sort of kind of true.

But.... you can't get more personal with Jesus than at a Catholic Mass.

thank you :) What religion are you, if i may ask?

agh sorry iantimothy, i was talking to techno trousers, you sorta jumped in there :)

i am a protestant

cool, i like them because they dont dis everyones religion
i am theist. that is all. no organized religion for me!

LoveShaun19 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 21st 2012

Banjoboy, Iantimothy, Amen! I feel the same way. I beleive we should give people respect as human beings, like we shouldn't treat them badly, but there is only one way. We should stand up for our faith and the truth.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 21st 2012

Mk7, What do you mean by sect? Methodist, Catholic, that sort of thing? If so I'm what is termed a Baptist, or Southern Baptist.

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 21st 2012

Yeah, I would'nt really call them sects, usually they are called denominations. Which is a shame, with 30,000 + denominations, that no one can agree, all it does is separate the one Body of the first 1500 years of christianity. All Martin Luther' fault.

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 21st 2012

Whoah, dont dis protestants!!
Also I think sect and denomination mean the same thing because i searched 'christian se' and 'christian sects and denominations' popped up.

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 21st 2012

I wasn't dissing them, but wouldn't it be better if there was just one church like there was for the first 1500 years? No more arguing on different beliefs, just one body , " a house divided against itself cannot stand."
And from a historical point Martin Luther did start the Protestant reformation, I am not saying Lutherans, or Calvinists or Anglicans or any Protestants are bad, just that they are separate.

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 21st 2012

Yeah, but the protestants split because at that time, the Catholic church was corrupt, saying that a "donation" could redeem you of your sins. You cant buy your way into heaven.

The Catholic Church is not corrupt now.

The Church itself has never been corrupt, certain people WITHIN the Church were corrupt. The Church itself never taught the sale of indulgences, in fact it condemned it as much as the reformers.

It is kind of like the saying, "don't leave Peter because of Judas ."

Fair enough.

Um Iantimothy, could you explain that saying? I understans what it's trying to say but shouldn't it be " Don't leave Jesus, or the Church because of Judas"?

Peter founded the Catholic church, (I know this since I was raised catholic, got my first communion and everything,) and the catholics are very proud of this. The Catholic church has the pope, so its not like a 1-on-1 relationship with god, like lots of other religions.

IS Peter considered similar to God in the Catholic beleif? I know that he's not considered God, I just know that there is a lot of empahsis on saints. Are they considered like mini-dieties too? ( Sorry, best description I could think of).

No, but the pope is the successor to Peter, and the pope leads the Church so they put Peter above the Other saints It goes like this

God
Jesus
Holy Spirit
Peter
Saints (Sometimes the pope is here too ,like Pope John Paul II who might become a saint)
Pope
Preists
Regular folks like us

Mk7, you should probably make sure you know what you are saying is correct before you say that the Church teaches things. The catholic Church is a one on one relationship with God, in fact, since we believe the Eucharist is God himself, then it most definitely is a relationship with God. Just because we have a Pope who leads the church, that doesn't negate a relationship with God.

Peter is no where close to God, we have a deep respect for Peter because he was the first pope, it is like an American admiring George Washington because he is the first president.

And about the saints, they are not dieties, or gods or anything more than people, but they are people who are in heaven, people who lived lives of utmost holiness, and we can admire them. The reason we pray to them is because they are with God, we don't believe that when someone is in heaven they are just somehow completely cut off from the world, if I can ask you to pray for me, a person in this world, why should we not ask someone who is with God to pray for us.

And mk7 your little hierarchy you have there, where did you get that? None of that is taught in the church.

First of all Jesus and the Holy Spirit are God so they are not below him.

Peter is not really hold up above all the saints, if anything it would be Mary, Jesus' own mother, the actual MOTHER of God!

The pope is held in high esteem, but he is not somehow greater in the eyes of God than the beggar in the streets. Same with the priests and us, and even with the saints, we are all equal in the eyes of God.

Things may be you opinion, and that is fine, but you might want to check before you start giving church teachings that aren't actually taught by the church.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, quoting the Second Vatican Council’s document Lumen Gentium, states: "The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter’s successor, ‘is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful.’"- wikipedia on the pope

Translation:The pope is a nessecary component and a conduit to god, above the bishops and other worshipers

'All the faithful, from the Pope to the child who has just been baptized share in one and the same grace.'[7] Nonetheless, when it is affirmed that the Church is a hierarchical society we are in substance saying that in spite of the 'radical or fundamental equality' which is to be found among the People of God, the Church has structures, features and differentiations by virtue of which she is a society in which there is a 'functional inequality.'[8] That is to say: not all the faithful have the same function or mission. For this reason Pope St. Pius X could say that 'the Church is essentially an unequal society, that is, a society composed of two types of people: shepherds and sheep.'[9] - a website called the heirarchical constitution of the church

Translation: The church has a government, and all worshippers are equal in the eyes of god, but they are not all of the same importance as others on this Earth . The Pope is of more importance than the average worshipper and has more sway in society

This is mk7 "Checking [her] facts [on] church teachings" -iantimothy's post 11 minutes ago:-(|)

:D

I never said they were equal in human terms just in theological terms.

But good job, lumen Gentium, is a good document.

Thanks!
quotes are always a good move in a debate

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012

Especially if they are from Vatican II, that is some good writing.

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012
:)

LoveShaun19 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012

Thanks you guys I know that the Catholic denomination has some practices that are different than Baptist, I just wasn't sure of the specifics. I get a lot of different reports from people. I knew that we beleive the same thing about Jesus thoough. Our fundemental principles are the same.

LoveShaun19 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012

MK7, I'm not trying to offend, just curious. Why don't you like organized religion like the Christian churches? Did you have a bad experience with them at one point?

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012

We are much more similar than a lot of baptists even think we are. "Even though us Catholics come straight out of the pit of Gehenna, and is the great beast condemned in the bible." but Baptist tradition stems right out of Catholicism.

I know not all baptists think like that, but some do and they don't realize all the similarities, only the differences.

I a, from Louisville, Ky and the city is a little over half catholic, with the rest being baptist, and we all seem to get along just fine. There is a baptist Church right across from our Catholic church

Some people get different demoninations confused. Whitin Christian demoninations , we can argue different points but it comes down to a personal relationship between you and God. I know a lot of people think that Baptists are sticks-in the mud, make up too many rules, and hate fun. Which is , of course, not true. A good rule to go by I've noticed whitin the Christian denominations, is to not judge a person by their group. Sure one Baptist might put to much empahsis on rules, or be kind of a stick -in -the-mud, but that dosen't mean that all Baptists are. People tend to attach stereotypes to Christians and their denominations just like they do to different people groups.

yeah, my english teacher last year was baptist, he was one of the most fun teachers I have ever had.

Do you go to a Christian school?

Catholic all boys high school.

Oh. I was homeschooled by my parents so I basically was in a Christian private school. :) ( Both my parents are Christian)

w&gfan75 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012

I'm Anglican, but have went to a catholic school all my life. I plan on switching to catholic in a year or 2;)

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 22nd 2012

I dont DISLIKE organized religion, I just dont wish to take part in it. Maybe it was because when I went to a Catholic private school ( I switched to public in the fourth grade) I was bullied mercilously, I dont know. I dont judge a person by their religion. My boyfriend is a Catholic, as is his family, and he goes to an all boys catholic highschool, (He's 1 year older than me) and I dont DISLIKE him/them for that. Quite the contrary, their very nice people. He respected that I was an atheist (I was when we met, then I was agnostic, and now, thanks to this thread, I am a theist) even though he didnt agree.

I'm not like "Hi, I'm mk7, and I dont take part in an organized religion. And you are?" Its not what defines me you know what I'm saying?

I know. I was just wondering. What was it on this tread that made you become a theist? :)

mk7 Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 23rd 2012

IDK, i geuss it just made sense...

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Feb 23rd 2012

What is a theist specifically, I know by definition, it would be someone who believes in God, "Theos" which is God in Greek. But not an organized religion.

What exactly do you believe about God or Jesus.
Just curious.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.