Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

GENERAL CHAT » ANY TIPS FOR SMOOTH ANIMATION?

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 13 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 13.
Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 5th 2013

I am working on an animation right now. Please.
Any? If you do, please reply below. Thank you!

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 5th 2013

Lots of pictures of very tiny movements put at the right speed...Thats all i really know

wallace05man Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 6th 2013

If you don't already, use a tripod because they keep your camera steady. Also, try and get an animation software which allows "onion skinning", which is a useful feature that shows the ghost of the previous frame so if the camera moves or a model falls over, you can return everything back to exactly where it was for the last frame, if you see what i mean. the Onion skin feature helps a lot.

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 8th 2013

what is the difference between onion skinning and rotoscope? thanks.

wallace05man Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 8th 2013

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 9th 2013

ooooh! I could go on and on about this for days, this is a broad topic, do you have any specific questions? 

I will just give some broad info on it.

So, smooth animation is created through the theory of "Persistence Of Vision" which sounds fancy, but it really just means the way the human eye percieves motion by seeing a sequence of frames lined up and played back at anywhere from usually 12-24 frames per second.

Lets talk frame rates. Film runs at 24 frames per second, that is 24 individual pictures played back to back every second. A lot of stop motion has puppets moved 24 times a second, but a lot of the time you can actually take two frames for every frame so in theory you are actually shooting 12 frames per second. This is called "shooting on twos." Sometimes it can seem like it is cheating to shoot on twos, but it is very common and you can get very nice animation. 

Smoothness: The key to making smooth animation is making sure you have consistent movement. if you are making a character's arm move and you move it 2 cm, then 3 cm, then 2 cm, then 1 cm, then back to 3cm you will get very chattery animation. As you animate make sure you have the motion accelerate and deccelerate correctly. so you would move the characters arm 1 cm, then 2 cm, 3 cm, 3 cm, 3 cm, 2 cm, 2 cm, 1 cm. That way you will start off slow, reach speed and then slow down as the movement stops The centimeters are just a random measurement, you will move it however much you need to get the right speed, that gives you an idea for how to move characters without being too jittery. That isn't saying you have to measure something precisely when you animate, a lot of the time you can eyeball it, but make sure you just arent going back and forth in the amounts you are moving you characters.

Getting technically smooth animation isn't too hard, and comes more and more easily with practice. Once you master that you can really get into the performance of the character, and that really is the hard part. It is easy to make the character smooth, but getting it to feel like it is really alive is a really fun challenge. 

wow. that was a lot, if you have any more questions let me know. 

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 9th 2013

Oh, and if you don't have it already, get the book Cracking Animation, by Peter Lord. That has a wealth of information and will give you a great idea of how to do this strange art of animation.

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 9th 2013

i also need help in lip sync.  i want to know how to do it with clay and what kind of software is good t to use. please reply to the other thread that i made. thanks for the long and helpful tip.   

daisychimp Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 9th 2013
:)

Daisy, smooth animation doesn't necessarily mean small moves. It means precise moves. If something is moving fast, you will have to have larger movement.

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 10th 2013

what if i like to have my clay model moving while the camera is also moving for example when walking?  i try moving the camera slightly just like doing simple animation and the effect makes the scene jittery.  what do you thik could i do?  thanks!

iantimothy Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 10th 2013

camera moves are very hard to get right. They have to be really precise, because like you said, it makes it jittery. What program do you use? If the program you use has a grid, turn that on and use that to move the camera a consistent distance each frame. 

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /mnt/data/hotwire/v1.8/libs/Convert/Convert.php on line 43 Apr 11th 2013

i use claymation studio 3.0 deluxe.  it has grids. you can adjust the size of the grids.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.