Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

GENERAL CHAT » OFF TO COLLEGE!

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 34 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 34.
iantimothy Posted: Apr 21st 2013

I just officially registered for college (or what y'all Brits call Uni). This fall I will be going to California Institute of the Arts, better known as CalArts. CalArts is ranked as the best animation school in the world, and it is extremely competitive to get in. I will be in their Experimental Animation program.

Without this website, these forums, and all of the people on these forums I am fairly sure I wouldn't be where I am and I know I wouldn't be going to the best animation school in the world.I first came to this website 5 years ago as an animation hobbyist. There were so many people on this site just like me, many of whom don't post much, if at al. It was a whole little community of young animators who were all about the same age. We all had one thing in common, we had no idea what we were doing. But we learned together, some people had more experience than others and they would give tips while others asked questions. I learned how to make armatures, do lip sync, build sets, and create fun stories all from people on this website. It also helped to build confidence, the people on this site were some of the first to see any of my work, and give me critique and comments. I got advice that helped me improve, and I was able to discuss my work, and other people's work with like minded young animators. I would just like to say thank you to everyone on this site, even if they don't post anymore, people like thetopbun, conty, nofby, chocochoc, Vincent and all of the moderators for helping me to become a better animator and get to this point in my life. It isn't finished yet, I still have a whole life to live but with CalArts I know I will have a great start.

so yeah, maybe a bit sappy, but I mean every word of it!

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Apr 22nd 2013

Goodluck!  You are right this site is a big help.  you will be one of the people i will also mentio like this in the future. you are a kind, helpful, always there t help others and a very good animator.  hope i would see you in aardman in the future. :D   You are the person that really deserves this.  Thank you also for trying to help.  I hope i would be like you someday.  Goodluck and i will pray for your welfare. 

Goodluck again!

Sincerely,

WandG Mastermind 

Actually i am just about to enter highschool this year.  will you still be active in this site?

Bambooski Posted: Apr 22nd 2013

Good luck both of you!

Gromit lad Posted: Apr 22nd 2013

We've grown too fast... Best of luck! And that's really all we can give is luck, and a lot of work.

lad, everythings changing....

mmasonghi studios Posted: Apr 23rd 2013

good luck, my fellow southerner!

iantimothy Posted: Apr 23rd 2013

Mason,  I know you still have a few years yet, but have you started looking into any colleges? Are you going to pursue animation?

mmasonghi studios Posted: Apr 23rd 2013

probably, I'm 15 so still have a little while. 

katie Aardman Staff Posted: Apr 24th 2013

Wow, off to college?  I feel so old ;)

Congratulations iantimothy, it's been a joy to watch your animations and see your work progress over the years.  It's lovely to hear the site and its members have supported you along the way.

Have an amazing time at college and good luck for your future career in the animation business - I'll keep an eye out for you at the Oscars in a few years time!  Keep in touch!

PS - I passed on the news to Kirsten and Ellie as well, they're both really pleased for you!

Bambooski Posted: Apr 24th 2013

I just watched some of your animations, and they truly are amazing. :)

gromitsbuddyinginventor Posted: Apr 24th 2013

I'd just like to thank you for saving me as I have started an animation club at my school and in the first session I completely misjudged the timings and so the slideshow that I was hoping would last an hour only took 25 mins! After showing them all of my animations I didn't know what to do with all these 11 and 12 year olds! I then remembered your beaver creek series and I showed them as many episodes as it took to fill up the rest of the time! I wasn't sure if they liked it at first but I heard through the grapevine that they loved it and I heard them singing the theme tune!! So thank you so much!!!! Also well done on your college place!!

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: Apr 25th 2013

Aardman please take iantimothy to your studios!!!  he is so good!! 

gromitrox123 Posted: Apr 26th 2013

Your animations are amazing!! I love "Day shift" the best.

harryboy8080 Posted: May 9th 2013

Ian?! CalArts?! Wow! That is my dream! I'm only a freshman, but I am working so hard to get there. :) I feel so happy for you Ian, you have been one of my close friends on this site for the past 4 or 5 years. You really have no idea how inspiring your work is. 

But really Ian, PLEASE keep in touch. IF I ever get there... Which is a longshot... Maybe we will meet eachother someday. And boy, would I look forward to that.

iantimothy Posted: May 9th 2013

Harryboy, definitely. As you continue to develop, keep in touch. In a few years when you apply to CalArts please ask me any questions you want. I will still be in my third year when you apply, so if you get in you could be a freshman when I'm a senior. 

I know it is a long way away but you really will want to start now developing your skills, but not only your skills your own personal vision as an artist. That is what CalArts is looking for as well.

I would really love to see you get in, but it is extremely competitive. I am assuming you would apply to the experimental animation program, they only take about 15 students a year. Could you post a link to your work, I may be able to help you figure out what you will want to work on The most. 

www.youtube.com/epicanim8tor

Ian, you are a great person. You are going so far in life. As of right now, I'm making some armatures. I plan on doing some sort of claymation over the summer, I've really only been working with LEGOs lately.

Also, I wanted to ask you, in your latest work (Miles of Pennys) what method did you use to hold your figures up? Did you rig and mask, use tiedowns, earth magnets, or something else?

Actually, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ZEzHrx30M has some clay animation in it.

okay, so tonight I am going to watch some of your work, Will you mind if I give you some critiques? 

For Penny she is tied down with some sticky tac stuff, the stuff that holds posters onto walls. Some brands don't work very well but i found a brand at an art store that is strong, but it doesn't stain or cause a problem. For the cat jumping off of the bed, or the little girl running up with the penny I used simple wire rigs. 

And please, critique.

great! It appears that we have a smiliar style! Bow ties and suspenders! 

Its all about lookin' shabby.

LVincent123 Posted: May 13th 2013

Hey Ian,

Long time no speak! I've been watching your continued progress within the world of animation with great interest - it's outstanding to see how far you have come! Still waiting for another Beaver Creek episode, though!  Looks like your doing incredibly well on the festival circuit and a place at CalArts is a massive acheivment. Congratulations! I don't use this site as much, but I sometimes come and have a quick poke around! I agree, all those years ago, posting video after video, bouncing feedback back and fourth - so much fun learning and exploring  this incredible artform! Good Luck and keep in touch!  

Wallace and Gromit Mastermind Posted: May 14th 2013

Yeah Ian when will you be releasing a new episode of beaver creek? it is so cooool! XD

iantimothy Posted: May 14th 2013

Lawrence Vincent! How are you?! You're in school for animation as well arent you?

W&G Mastermind, I don't have any Beaver Creek in the works right now, I have been busy with a bunch of other projects. But you never know, I might get back to it at some point. 

harryboy8080 Posted: May 14th 2013

That'd be awesome. For the past 4 years I've been inspired by it. Maybe at CalArts they'll let you do a project of your choice sometime... :D

Then I will be looking forward for it. Goodluck again!

Can someone post a picturre of paraffin wax here?

ummm sorry that msg must be posted in the animation thread. sorry

shaunfan134 Posted: May 15th 2013

hay ian! 

can you accept my buddy request?  

LVincent123 Posted: Jun 13th 2013

Hey Ian, sorry for  late response. I'm good, thanks! Yeah, I'm doing animation here in the UK. Still doing stop frame but also doing a lot of After Effects 2D/3D stuff. 

Currently shooting my films solely on green screen and extending the set around them using After Effects etc - loving it! Doing mostly charcater based pieces now! Just uploaded a little demo reel on YouTube from my favourite stuff from the past 6 or 7 months - still learning everyday. Critique always welcome! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qny7h5fdA5o

Hope all is well! 

Nelson8 Posted: Jun 15th 2013

College? Thats amazing! Good Luck!!

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.