Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

ARTS, CRAFTS & COOKERY » DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET WALLACE & GROMIT EYES?

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 30 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 30.
snowbunny13 Posted: Mar 20th 2008

Hello Fellow Wallace and Gromit Fans!!!
My hobby is sculpting and I have looked everywhere trying to find the eyes that the creaters of Wallace and Gromit use for their characters. Does anyone know where I can find them? Trying to make both eyes match out of clay is soooo time consuming and it would be much easier if I could just buy the eyes pre-made which is what I think the creators of Wallace and Gromit do.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

~Snowbunny

jordan Posted: Mar 20th 2008

they are normal (white beads with holes in them) with the pupils in painted back paint.

Hope That Helps

Wow! I totally see the hole now! I never really noticed it before. Do you know what kind of paint they used to get it to stick to plastic?

Can you tell what size bead they used? I think my sculptures are smaller but it would be a good start to know what size they are using.

Thank you soooo much for your quick response! I'm going to head to the hobby store right away!
Have a great day!!!

~Snowbunny

any paint , humbrol black maybe depends on the size of your character, small character use smaller beads, larger character larger beads

anymore questions just ask , im here to help , more experianced than most of the users on here ;)

Thank you soooo much for your help! I went to the hobby store and got beads and paint. I got both plastic and glass beads as I will need to experiment to see which ones work best. I sculpt with Polymer Clay which needs to go in the oven. Not sure if plastic or glass will survive the baking process, but hey, that's what's fun about hobbies. You get to experiment with all kinds of materials.

Thanks again for your expert advice!

~Snowbunny

i wouldnt put the beads in the oven, highly dangerous, make your model put in the eyes (beads) then afer sculping your model remove the beads, put them back in after baking, that would be the best way.

Modelmaker93 Posted: Mar 20th 2008

wen you put the beads back in they wont stick so add a bit of blue tac or plasticine or wot ever clay you have ot them and they will stick !

jordan Posted: Mar 21st 2008

glue the eyes to the sculpture that would be the best way, as it not for animation.

wghtmf Posted: Mar 26th 2008

Wallace and Gromit Modelling Kit

jordan Posted: Mar 26th 2008

i already helped

Qasim Posted: Mar 27th 2008
:-(|)

The eyes are made from a ball of plasticene with a black bead

jordan Posted: Mar 27th 2008

no there not! , ive already said how.....

Janique1 Posted: Mar 29th 2008
;)

hi, qasim, u need a avatar if u want 2 hav good friends on this site

VincentAnimations01 Posted: May 10th 2008

They are wihte glass beads with black enamel paint painted on. The hole is so you can move the eyeball with a cocktail stick

Call me Carl Posted: Jun 8th 2008

You know,in the back of the Book "Cracking Animation.", if you can find it at your local library, will give you some addresses from witch supplies can be ordered. Hope that helps.

Matt08 Posted: Jun 10th 2008

I've always found that for animation, you can find all sorts of sizes of glass beads at Hobbycraft.
If you're doing a close up shot of the characters eyes and you don't want the holes to be visible, cover over the paint area with some black plasticine (for example). However, when animating the eyes, you'll have to keep taking off and re-applying the plasticine on the eyes after each movement.

If you're using a complex armature, you can fix magnets to the head of the armature and then use metal balls (sprayed to colour of your choice) which will stick to the eye sockets without need for clay, glue etc. However, you will need to drill holes in the metal ball bearings to be able to move them.

Hope this helps.

lmlm6819 Posted: Jul 16th 2008

jst go into any craft store and look in the bead section.
u can usually find a wide selection of white beads here in all different sizes. as for the black part around the hole in the bead, acrylic black paint works jst fine!

animator45 Posted: Aug 1st 2008

I think the type that aardman use you cant buy but im not sure ill email aardman.

I think the way they work is there on a white megalic surface and then a black magnet then put the plastic over then they just move the eyes by sticking a needle in and moving them.

Sorry this dosnt help you i think thats aardmans way of doing it.:D

Thanks
Animator45

plasjas Posted: Sep 18th 2008

they use white beads and enamel paint put on a slow drill so you get an even coat

Hootmat Posted: Oct 3rd 2008

I use some plastic beads and a perminant marker, its so hard to get an even coverage and you can still see the white bits in the pupils, I am going to have another look today.

plasjas Posted: Oct 3rd 2008

yeah i used to do that but found the same problem i now use paint

plasjas Posted: Oct 3rd 2008

you could use acrylic eyes expensive though if yu are making models to animate

duckclay Posted: Oct 3rd 2008

There white beeds panted.

conty Posted: Oct 11th 2008

they use white beads and paint the black/blue pupil on them:) the holes of the beads are left at the front so that the eye can be moved with a pin when animating;)

jordan Posted: Oct 11th 2008

why has people just replied with the same thing lol!!

plasjas Posted: Oct 11th 2008

just to show that is defintley what they use as not everyone uses the same thing

ashleyroberts-xo Posted: Nov 22nd 2008

I thought you could either go on Ebay and look for 'Acrylic Eyes', wich are very cheap and realistic or look for tutorials on 'Derlyn Eyes', are they? I'm not that sure, but im sure thats what there called :)

Hope i helped.

:D

Boffin Posted: Jan 4th 2009

One way to get round all this is to roll some spheres with white polymer clay (Fimo or Sculpey) and make holes in them with a needle and bake. Very easy to do and they don't look bad.

plasjas Posted: Jan 4th 2009

i got some acrylic eyes...they are great

Filming EJ Posted: Jan 16th 2009

Maybe you could get a white bead and put paint or a black sharpie for the pupils. If you see the hole too much, just put a bit of clay in it

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.